6- The Choice

Heartbreaker paces back and forth on the platform, growing impatient now. Thirty minutes have passed since his message to Ladybug and she still hasn't shown yet. "Where is she?!" He shouts, banging a hard fist on the railing.

Marinette glances down at her purse, at the two kwamis waiting in fear. She has to buy more time from him to create a plan—if she can think of one. She slowly steps over and asks, "What if Ladybug's out of town?"

He stops pacing. "I hadn't considered that."

"Or she might not own a TV," She continues rambling on. "Maybe she didn't hear your call—"

"Do you not want Ladybug to show up?"

"What? O-Of course I do. Why wouldn't I? It's just weird she hasn't shown up yet, right?" An idea pops in her head. If she could get Heartbreaker to go look for Ladybug, Marinette could transform without him or Hawk Moth discovering her secret identity. "Maybe she's hiding! Maybe she's out waiting and perfecting a plan to defeat you!"

Heartbreaker tilts his head and stares at her, almost amused. "You are a very confusing girl, Marinette. I can't decide if you're on my side or not."

Marinette looks out towards the city, suddenly remembering a conversation her and Adrien had earlier—about her having two crushes—and turns towards her akumatized classmate. "I'm on your side. Whatever side Adrien Agreste is on, I'm there."

Heartbreaker steps forward. "I am not—"

"Adrien, I know," She finishes with a sad smile. "You're Heartbreaker now, but isn't it nice to know I loved you before and I love you now, too?"

"What are you talking?" He asks, confused. 

"You are the other crush," Marinette whispers, keeping her bluebell eyes on him. Heartbreaker stands at her side now. "Remember when we were talking earlier, and I told you I had two crushes. One is Cat Noir and the other an oblivious boy?"

Heartbreaker nods. "Yes."

"You are that oblivious boy, Ad—Heartbreaker. You are my second crush."

His eyes widen. "Y-You... loved Adrien?"

"No."

"But you just said—"

"I love Adrien," Marinette corrects. "There's nothing past tense about it."

Heartbreaker looks away from her. Marinette loves both sides of him, both superhero and civilian. It's perfect. He doesn't need Ladybug to return his love when he has Marinette. All he needs are the miraculous she carries.

Marinette watches him carefully, clearly distracted by something, and scans over his body to see where the akumatized object is. Nothing sticks out to her yet. Even if she did find it, she can't purify it without transforming and if she didn't call up her lucky charm, no damage would be fixed. Be patient, Marinette. Maybe she could break Hawk Moth's control of Heartbreaker and help break contact. Then she could transform, call her lucky charm, and fix everything quick. She slides over to him and rests her hand on his.

"What are you doing?" He questions, noting how warm her hand feels.

"What? I can't hold your hand?" Marinette wraps her hand tight around his and flinches. "Your hand is so cold."

Heartbreaker rubs his thumb over her knuckles. "Yours is warm."

She opens his palm and presses hers against his, lacing their fingers together with a smile. "A perfect match."

Heartbreaker stares intensely at Marinette, completely mesmerized by her, and his thoughts get interrupted.

"You have Marinette!" Hawk Moth screams in his mind. "Now go and find Ladybug!"

Heartbreaker shakes his head, taking his hand back, and steps away. "I'm going to look for Ladybug."

Marinette grins. Perfect. "You're not going to wait?"

"No, you may be right. She could already be somewhere in Paris, hiding. I need to find her."

"Before you go." Marinette steps over and grabs his hand again, turning him around. She stands on her toes and kisses him before she changes her mind.

Heartbreaker stands there, stunned, and blinks. "W-What was that for?"

"I wanted to see what it was like..." She admits with a sly grin. "Kissing you." It didn't seem to break the control, like she hoped. She steps back. "Sorry. Go, find Ladybug."

Heartbreaker jumps off the Eiffel Tower, almost tempted to stay back and ignore his plans and kiss his lady again.

The kwamis fly out of her purse.

"What was that about?!" Plagg shouts at her. "Kissing the enemy now?"

"I wanted to see if that would bring Adrien back," Marinette whispers, crossing her arms. "Obviously, it didn't. Tikki, we need a plan fast. Heartbreaker won't be gone for long, especially when he can't find Ladybug."

Tikki turns to the flying cat. "Plagg, you were there when Adrien was akumatized. What's the akuma hiding in?"

"It was this weird paper. it had Adrien and Ladybug's face on it."

"The poster!" Marinette shouts. "The ones Kim made and passed out in class. Okay. Good. Now we know where the akuma is."

"What are you going to do, Marinette?" Tikki asks.

"I-I..." She scratches the back of her neck. "I haven't figured that out yet. We know where the akuma is, in the poster, but I didn't see it on Adrien. Could it be in a pocket?"

The red bug shakes her head. "That's too risky. If you get close, he could turn you to stone! Paris will be destroyed!"

"Tikki, we always come up with a plan and succeed," She assures her kwami. "Besides, we have the power of luck on our side."

"Good, 'cause we're going to need it," Plagg mutters.

Marinette rolls her eyes. "Tikki, spots on!"