Chapter 32

Finally is this week over. That was horrible.

 That was horrible

You smile. 'Child delivery has arrived!'

Teucer jumps into Childe's arms. 'Big brother, I've missed you so much! Your friends are so nice to play with! Can we invite them over to Snezhnaya? And can you get me one of those floating bunny-ball-things?'

'I missed you too, but slow down. Maybe you should start with an explanation why you are here in Liyue.', the Harbinger pets the small boy's head.

'You're almost never home so I secretly took a merchant's ship to get here...'

Childe sighs. 'You know that traveling alone like that is dangerous. And trusting those four could have gone wrong too - they are strangers for you.'

'But everything they said about you and me was true so I thought there is no way that they are bad people.'

'I understand what your problem is, but in the end we are your friends. right?' Stepping closer to Childe you whisper to him so that Teucer can't hear. 'And besides, teaching this child that Ruin Guards aren't playthings is just as important. If we had been a second slower, you would have to call Wangsheng Funeral Parlor for another reason than intel.'

'Oh, I see. In that case... you have my uttermost gratitude. Shall we start eating then?'

A meal, a trip to Harbinger's house and a discussion about the appropriate go-to-bed-time later, you are left alone with Aether and Childe. Teucer went to sleep, Rosa has to serve as a plushy and Paimon watches over them.

Leaning back in his chair, Childe looks at the ceiling. 'I can't thank you often enough for saving my little brother. It is just that somebody as young as him shouldn't know all the rottenness of the world.'

'We're not telling you to come clean with your actual job. The advice to stay away from Ruin Guards isn't more disturbing than the existence of stranger danger.', you explain.

'I'll think about it... Anyways, what do you two want as a reward?'

'A favor for the future.'

Aether nods. 'I would like something similar, though I already know what. (Y/N)... Could you perhaps go outside for a moment? It's nothing personal, more like a surprise maybe.'

'Okay..? It is a nice surprise, right?' Smiling awkwardly, you scratch your head.

The blonde doesn't answer.

An unwell sensation comes over you. '...Right?'

Aether takes your slightly sweating hands into his own. 'Y-es yes, of course. I simply don't want to ruin the surprise for you.'

'Alright then.' You slowly walk through the door. 'I'll wait outside.'

Closing the entrance door behind you, you take a deep breath. 'Considering that Tartaglia is filthy rich, the surprise could be anything... Well, I'll see soon enough.'

The alley is empty and you use your spare time to admire the sparkling stars that decorate the night sky for some minutes until you are interrupted. 'Woof, woof!'

'Aww, a small doggo.'

Round eyes happily stare at you while the fluffy creature wags with its tail. The fur is well-kept and around its neck is a collar with a rolled piece of paper.

'Did your owner attach a note to you in case that you get lost? How sweet. Better check it before you freeze to death during this cold night.'

Just as you take the paper from the dog it runs away.

'Hey! You can't... and it is gone. I hope it finds its way back home by itself...'

Since you already took the note you check what is written on it:

I don't know if I should be proud of you for being able to run with broken legs or if I should be mad that you disrespected my authority.

Due to the fact that this dog only returns once it found a person with your scent, you can stop bother hiding your presence here in Liyue. I might even show you mercy if you return voluntarily.

Until we meet soon, puppy.

Time seems to slow down as you freeze in your current position. 'Shít.'

Slightly disoriented by the sudden shock you stumble back inside for safety reasons.

There, both males are still sitting on the same spaces as before. Childe's expression is something between amused and unbothered while Aether is clearly angry.

'I am not that type of-', he stops himself from talking any further as he notices you. 'Oh, (Y/N). You came back by yourself... Did something happen?'

'Ehh... this note is self explaining.' You hand them over the piece of paper and they read it quietly.

Aether's worried eyes look at you. 'Is this from Scaramouche?'

You nod.

The Harbinger appears to be less bothered. 'Simple yet threatening. Why does he call you puppy though? Without context you could almost think that you two are a couple.'

'I have absolutely no idea why he does that. There is not a single spark of romance or friendliness involved.'

After that the room stays quite for a moment.

'And that's the part where you ask for my help, am I right?'

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!