Chapter 78: Taowu

Spiritual qi that rained from the sky was a type of reward offered by heavenly law to yao cultivators whose cultivation had reached great heights. At the same time, it was also a form of repayment by Heaven and Earth. The more the spiritual qi repaid, the stronger the yao cultivator.

The Kunpeng tapped his claws and replied nonchalantly, "I was born a fiend, so I don't understand the worries you auspicious beasts have for the nation and citizens. Anyway, in my opinion, before the yao beast has done any wrong, no one has the right to decide whether he lives or dies. Do you know what I dislike the most about you auspicious beasts?"

Gong Fu saw the hint of mockery on the Kunpeng's face, as well as his contempt towards heavenly law.

"That you do things thinking you're always right in the name of concern for the nation and all living creatures," The Kunpeng laughed coldly. "Since he was born in this world, there is meaning in his existence. If he is an auspicious beast, it will be the fortune of all; if he becomes a fiend, then it will be time for you auspicious beasts to worry."

Spiritual qi descended on his palms, seeping into his skin bit by bit and nourishing the flesh beneath the skin. Gong Fu gazed at the sea silently, his hands behind his back.

"Besides, since you've asked this question, it means you've already made a decision in your heart," The Kunpeng patted the melon seed shells on his body. "You question only because there is hesitation in your heart. If you really have the intent to kill, why ask such a question to a fiend like me?"

If he couldn't do it, then he ought to honestly admit to it. What pretentiousness – insisting on finding a way out through a fiend.

"You're right. Even if he wants to annihilate the Heavens and Earth, I will protect the land beneath my feet even if I have to resort to destroying my body of dragon bones," Gong Fu was about to leave when he saw the tide rise suddenly beneath his feet. His complexion didn't look very good.

"This smell..." The Kunpeng muttered. "It's the Taowu."

Savagery was second nature to the Taowu. It ate both humans and yao, and was unbridled in its conduct. If there was a ranking of the level of savagery among the ancient fiends, the Taowu would definitely be within the top ten. The Kunpeng, Taowu, and Oujiang weren't the same kind of yao – the Kunpeng regarded himself as a principled bad guy, while the Taowu was bad in an extremely casual manner, without any reason to speak of.

The pitch-black seawater roiled continuously. Zhuang Qing looked at the gigantic strange beast beneath him that had emerged from the sea. He stroked Fu Li's smooth fur. "Fu Li, you just advanced and your cultivation base isn't stable. Leave this place first."

Fu Li leaped out of his embrace and transformed into his human form. Apart from his complexion being a bit on the pale side, there wasn't much difference between how he looked now and how he usually looked. He shook his head. "No, neither of us are a match for him. There's no point in you remaining here on your own."

Looking out at the fiercely churning sea, Zhuang Qing tightened his grip on the sword in his hand. "There is a rumor that the Taowu has extraordinary divine power and fears only the Vermilion Bird." He turned towards Fu Li. Under the glow of lightning, his handsome, inclined face was overly fair. "I remember you have the Vermilion Bird's fan, perhaps it can block one or two blows."

The Vermilion Bird's fan was just a fan at the end of the day, not the Vermilion Bird.

What was more, with his and Fu Li's cultivation base, it was impossible for them to defeat the Taowu. At this juncture, they would delay as long as they could. For every additional minute and second, the people on land would be a bit closer to safety.