Chapter 18: The Mercenaries

"I'm glad you're the one they sent." Rumlow's voice echoed out.

I spun around to see him, wearing his black armor with white paint. His face was covered by a black mask with a white skull engraved on his mask in paint. No doubt it was covering his scarred face.

"Brock..." I whispered. "Please don't continue down this path. This isn't who you were."

He scoffed as he approached me. "Don't tell me you still have feelings for me."

"As if. I'm trying to save your ass, to stop you from doing something you'll regret." I protested.

He let out a dark chuckle as he took off his mask, showing off his face, which had several scars. My heart clenched. Once he stood right in front of me, he retaliated. "It's you who is nothing without me."

I scoffed. "What are you talking about?"

"It was thanks to me that you were helping out STRIKE with the hijack of the Lemurian Star." Rumlow clarified.

"That's a lie." I retorted. "I earned that spot."

"Oh please, I was the one who moved around the strings around." Rumlow rebuked, placing a hand under my chin. "But that's what I got for falling in love with you..."

"No, you're lying, just like you've done all this time. That's what you're good at, lying." I shot back.

I then swung an arm towards Rumlow, but he immediately deflected it with his own arm. We both fought on though, neither one of us was backing down. I didn't wish to kill him, but I knew Rumlow wouldn't back down. I didn't love him anymore, but I still cared about him, which Rumlow immediately noticed. He wore a smirk. "You can't kill me, can you? You still have feelings for me, don't you?"

I narrowed my eyes. "No, I don't. I'll prove it to you, Rumlow!"

Rumlow let out a chuckle. I continued to fight Rumlow until his reinforcements arrived, surrounding me. I did my best to fight them all on my own, but all it took was one wrong move...A blade then pierced my side. I let out a yell as I felt immense pain spread through my body. But I kept fighting, pushing past the pain. It wasn't long though until one of the mercenaries fired a bullet, piercing my back. I let out a whimper as I collapsed onto the ground. It felt like my body was engulfed in flames. I raised my head, and the last thing I saw was a pained look on Rumlow's face as he looked over at his mercenaries, giving them a nod.

My eyes widened as I sat up, letting out a gasp. R8 quickly approached my side, letting out several high pitch beeps, asking if I was all right. I glanced around to find myself back in the room I was after I got hurt on Nevarro.

I nodded. "I'm fine, R8."

All of the sudden, I heard footsteps followed by Mando's voice. "Ayla?"

In a matter of seconds, he was by my side, holding a kit in his hand. I furrowed my brows. "Where am I?"

"In my room." He answered.

My eyes widened. I'm in Mando's room? Well, it's the only room to rest, Mandy. Still I could feel my face heating up. Don't be an idiot...I then decided to change the subject. "And Toro?"

"Dead." He informed me as he opened up the kit.

He then took out a bandage along with a bottle that I didn't recognize. He gently grabbed my right arm before spraying the liquid on my wound. I winced as I felt a sharp pain.

"Sorry." He apologized.

"It's all right." I assured him, waving it off.

As Mando wrapped up my wound, he spoke again. "You need to stop getting hurt."