54 | M

Mattia

"Lana, call ms. Artist. Tell her to come see me." I ended the call before Lana could say more than 'okay'.

My hands were sweating and my feet tapped away at the floor as my impatience could no longer stay hidden. There were only two things on my mind, the same two things that had prevented me from having a good night rest; Emmanuelle moving into Marco's room and my meeting with Rafael. Thankfully, I had unknowingly given myself the space to have a talk with her before my meeting with Rafael at ten o'clock. I had woken up at three in the morning and had come into the office at seven. For two hours I had rehearsed what I was going to say to her and to Rafael.

The only thing I needed to do was to get Marco out of the office. Luckily, I had a meeting scheduled with a potential client that I could ask him to handle. We were used to filling in for each other which is why this particular meeting did not seem fishy. As soon the clock showed that it was ten past nine, I rang up my assistant to arrange for Nuelle to come see me. A few seconds after I called her, she called me back.

"Lana."

"Sir. Ms. Artist isn't available at the moment."

"Wh– what do you mean she isn't available. Is she not in?"

"She is, sir."

"Then call her directly and tell her that it's urgent."

"I did call her directly, sir. She's the one that told me that she isn't available."

I took a breath before I chose my next words. It was not Lana's fault but I sure as hell wanted to go off on her. "Well, call her again. Tell her that it's urgent and that I'm not taking no as an answer. " I slammed the phone against my desk. Either, she was going to come see me or I would go up to Marco's office and see her. After what seemed like hours of waiting Nuelle finally walked through the door.

"Mattia," she stood with her hands behind her back, an unhappy expression resting on her face.

"Not available? I know you're mad at me, but NOT AVAILABLE?" I said the complete opposite of the opening line I had rehearsed for this conversation.

"I'm not mad at you," she spoke without any emotion. "I just have a lot of work. So, why is't that I'm here?"

I took a deep breath as I ran my fingers through my hair, pushing it backwards. "What do I have to do, Nuelle? Please, just tell me because I'm clueless as to what I have to do. I've told you how I feel, I—"

She shook her head as her eyebrows pinned together. "There really isn't anything you have to do."

"Then, why are you with him?" I snapped at her which automatically made her step backwards.

"I shouldn't be here." She was about ready to leave.

"No, please," I practically begged once I realized that I almost lost the grip I had on the rage that was slowly taking control of me. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you. Stay. I just want to talk."

She stood with her side facing me, clearly unsure about whether or not she should stay. "Marco wouldn't like me being here."

"Well, he isn't here, is he? I know, because I set up the meeting he's at so that I could talk to you."

"Right. Of course you did." She sighed.

My heart raced. "Are you happy with him?"

"I'm the happiest I've been since we came back here." Her eyes stared directly into mine.

Her words stung at my heart. I was aware of how badly I had treated her. It was what I regretted the most. "Do you love him?" I finally managed to ask this question after a brief moment of silence.