Can't Be Trusted

Several days went by. No Quackity, which granted, was a good thing, and I had no complaints. Rare sightings of Sam, who appeared only when he had to.

"You know you can leave..." he would say each time he brought me the same meal of undercooked potatoes.

"I know." I would respond.

But I can't leave. He would know. Somehow. Word would get back to him.

And honestly, I had racked every inch of my brain, shuffling through possibilities.

He can't do anything from prison, can he?

No, not possible.

But Ranboo said...

But he's different.

Right?

Still, I should heed his warnings about Dream.

No.

No!

Why should I have to spend my days rotting away in prison for something Dream did?

He torments my friend, torments this entire land, kills people, manipulates others, and I'm the one who pays?

I had gotten to a point several times where I said, screw this, he can't do shit to me. Otherwise why would he wait till I'm out of prison? He knows that I could get out of here if it wasn't me in control. So why not now?

Because he can't.

Or he would've done it.

Right?

Right. This is just his way at getting one final victory in. Telling me he'd get to me as soon as I left, to keep me here, so that even at the end of his glory days, he at least smiled each night knowing I was here too.

But still....

The thing he said to me. Right before we were taken to prison.

"I'll find a way. Somehow, someday, you won't have the prison walls to protect you. And when that day comes, your little story about you destroying your kingdom will seem like a play date in comparison."

Something about it...

Oh come on, you really believe that?

Great. I'm so glad the voices in my head are here to keep me company. What more could I possibly want?

"There had to be a reason for it. Dream may be a lot of things. But he wouldn't just make up a bluff like that for nothing." I said out loud. Good thing I was alone in this cell, or I might sound crazy.

Who am I kidding? I am crazy.

He IS bluffing.

It's a wonder you've made it this far with logic like yours.

"Hey! We share the same head, so you're just insulting your own intelligence." I said.

That's not how it works, but it felt better to act like it did.

"And besides, it's better to be safe. Every time I've underestimated someone or something, it's gotten me screwed over. No help from you." I said.

He's lying. He can't do anything to you, in or outside of the prison. So why should you stay captive for his crimes?

"That's the only reasonable thing I've ever heard any of you say." I responded out loud. "I shouldn't stay locked up here, dealing with Quackity's 'revival book' shit on top of that, because Dream said a few intimidating words. Screw him."