Home and Healing and Heaven

Matteo moves so quickly that I don't have time to take a breath

The full weight of his body is hard and heavy against my much smaller frame, pressing me into the door, practically erasing the fact that I exist. His big hand spans my jaw, my chin fitting perfectly into the curve between his index finger and thumb.

I gasp when he yanks my head to one side, his lips against my neck. He moans, and I can feel the vibration of the noise in his body. My hands go into his thick, black hair and I tug, hard. That seems to inspire him even more.

For the first time in my life, I'm afraid. Although this is the moment I've been waiting for, I never considered the fear factor. Never anticipated that this whole turning into a vampire process would be brutal and violent. Silly, stupid me.

When his warm breath hits my neck, a shiver spirals through my body. It's not a shudder of fear, though. It's arousal, stark and heady. When he grips my hair, when he kisses my ear, when he sighs like that, almost like he's pissed—he dominates me a fraction more.

Why am I reacting like this to him? Just a second ago, I was terrified. Am still terrified. A dizzy sensation overtakes me, and I feel like I'm melting into him, pouring my body and soul into every one of his molecules.

Silly. Stupid. Idiot. He shrugs off his jacket, then strips me of my coat, allowing both to crumple onto the floor. I'm only wearing a black tank top underneath, because I thought I'd be hot at the club. Matteo runs his hands down my bare arms, sucking in a breath.

Any moment, he'll rip into my flesh. He'll suck my—

"Why the fuck do you have to be so beautiful, Evangeline?" His hoarse voice shatters my thoughts. The tone is almost desperate, which is shocking. Is he not as commanding as I thought? Or is he equally enthralled by... whatever's going on between us?

He presses a soft kiss to my neck, then trails his lips and nose over my skin while tightening his grip on my chin.

"What?" I gasp.

"I said," he pauses near my ear, "Why the fuck do you have to be so beautiful? You're making this quite difficult for me, amore."

He straightens so we're face to face, and I rake in an inhale when I see his glowing scarlet eyes. He's the real deal, an actual vampire. "What are you talking about? What's difficult?"

"Shh," he hisses, hoisting me into his arms.

What the hell? Part of me wants to yell, wants to demand to know what, exactly, is so difficult for him. The way I figure it, he's a male vampire. He either wants to fuck me or feed from me. I'm fully on board with either, but I also want everything to be nice and simple.

I get the impression that Matteo Moretti isn't a simple man. Nor is he nice.

And although I'm a virgin, I'm not entirely inexperienced with guys. I've done everything but actual intercourse with lots of them, because I've been waiting for the right person.