《 best friends to lovers 》

• HUMAN AU •

As Keefe pulled into the driveway, Sophie snatched up her backpack, eager to escape the truck's tension. Outside would be cold, but worthwhile. Her hand moved to release the seatbelt, quick and fluid, but a warm hand intercepted hers.

Sophie swallowed. Her gaze followed the hand past strong arms and stronger shoulders, eventually reaching a blond-headed boy. His smirk was noticeably missing.

"What?" she breathed, butterflies littering her insides.

"I — um." Keefe drummed his fingers nervously on the steering wheel. "Do you have to go yet?"

"I have homework." Sophie stared longingly at her house, studying the familiar blue shutters through Keefe's filthy windshield. On another day, when they returned to being friends, she'd tease him for the poor maintenance of his vehicle.

But not today.

His eyes met hers, heartbroken. Until last week, they'd always done their homework together. No exceptions.

But now?

"I'm good at math," he said, a smug tint returning to his voice. Sophie was happy to hear it. After all, she was the one who'd made him lose it in the first place.

Frowning, Sophie fiddled with the patches on her backpack. "My dad can help me."

Keefe inhaled sharply. "You really do hate me."

Emotion lodged itself under Sophie's ribcage, and she tucked it away, happy it wasn't surfacing. "I don't hate you," she promised. "I just don't — um . . ."

How could she put this nicely?

Saying I don't love you was too harsh. And so was please don't ever try to kiss me again.

"I really thought," Keefe mumbled, "that you felt the same way."

"I'm sorry." Sophie laid a hand on his arm, and he stared at it with longing. "I really am."

"You're my best friend." His voice broke.

The emotions safely tucked inside her began to rise, and Sophie hugged her bag to her chest, as if that would keep them at bay. "Not all best friends fall in love."

"What happens when one of them does?"

The tension was too thick. Sophie reached back for the door handle, ready to slide off the seat and flee the scene, but his hand closed around her wrist.

"Please," Keefe begged. "You don't have to love me. I just can't lose you."

Sophie turned. "You're not going to lose me."

"Then why are you leaving?"

Regretfully, Sophie let go of the door handle. "I'm not," she said. The task of studying him distracted her, and it became a grueling chore as the silence dragged on.

It was no lie that Sophie was attracted to him — nearly everyone was. How could you not be? He was tall, blond, and according to every girl at their high school, the very definition of perfect. But even as rich as that attraction was, it lacked love.

She wanted real love.

"Keefe," Sophie whispered. Her fingers wanted to twine with his, but not out of infatuation. Out of care.

His hand reached for her hair, and Sophie's breath ceased when she noticed just how much she enjoyed that touch. When it was gone, she craved more.

"Can't I kiss you?" Keefe's voice was so heartbroken it hurt Sophie. "Just once?"