twenty two.

─☼☼☼─

𝙒𝙃𝙀𝙉 𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙍𝙇𝙊𝙏𝙏𝙀 𝙋𝙐𝙇𝙇𝙀𝘿 up to The Chateau, she barely recognized it. 

String lights had been strung from tree branch to tree branch, illuminating the usually dark yard. It was a new,  but not totally unwelcomed sight. 

However, the most odd thing about the aesthetic change was the hot tub that now sat in the middle of John B's property...what the hell happened?

Quickly grabbing the supplies from her car, Charlotte hesitantly started toward where the hot tub was situated. She could hear voices, and could see figures which could only be her sister, Pope and ... JJ! He was okay!

As she got closer, her eyes fell on JJ's chest as he stood up out of the hot tub, waving her over. He was covered in bruises, and Charlotte felt her stomach churn with nausea. Maybe he wasn't okay...

"Charley!" JJ called, a slight slur to his voice. "Thank God you're finally here."

Hopping over the edge of the hot tub, JJ threw his arms around Charlotte, enveloping her in a wet hug. 

As he did so, Charlotte looked toward Kiara and Pope who were both soaked from the waist down, as if they had gotten in the hot tub in their clothes. The look on her face was one of confusion to which Kiara gave her a small shake of the head which said I'll tell you later.

"Did you bring a suit?" JJ wondered, a sloppy grin on his face as he pulled back slightly to look at her. 

It took Charlotte a minute to pull her eyes from his busted open lip and respond. "Uh no." She rasped. "But I have to work on the pulley system for tomorrow anyway."

JJ groaned. "Oh come on, Charles. Have a bit of fun for once."

She gave him a forced smile. "Maybe later, J. I should get started. Just─uh─have a drink for me."

Shrugging, JJ took her statement quite literally and cracked open another beer before launching himself back into the hot tub. 

With him distracted, Charlotte looked over at her sister, aggressively nodding toward the house to signal that she wanted to speak to her. 

Kie sighed, passing her towel off to Pope before following Charlotte toward the porch, away from the prying ears of Pope and the completely oblivious ears of JJ. 

"What the hell happened to him?" The eldest Carrera demanded the moment they were around the corner. "Who did this?"

Casting a look over her shoulder, Kiara wrapped her arms around herself, as if a chill had overcome her. "It was his dad." She finally admitted. 

Part of Charlotte was relieved that it wasn't Rafe who did this, the other part of her was irate. "I'm going to fucking kill him." She bit out, anger searing through her veins. 

"Char─"

"No parent should do that to their child." Charlotte snapped. "Luke Maybank is a fucking sorry excuse for a man."

Kiara frowned. "I know. But there's nothing we can do."

Charlotte's brows flew up. "I should go over there. Tell him what a fucking coward he is and that if he ever touches JJ again he'll have hell to pay."