Men

C H A P T E R     F I F T Y     T W O

C H A P T E R F I F T Y T W O

I didn't just stop. 

Time stopped.

I could hear the blood pumping around my head, whooshing in my ear and I could feel the hardness of my chest because I had stopped breathing.

Slowly I turned around to face him and through swollen purple eyelids like looked back at me.

"What?" I asked, unsurely.

"You heard me Red."

Anger bubbled up inside of me, I could feel it race from my toes all the way to my finger tips. I picked up the first object I could set my hand on and threw it at him.

It was a knife, blunt and shiny. It penetrated his thigh and he growled in pain, clutching the chains tightly with his two hands.

"You fucking liar!" I yelled, pacing over to him and yanking out the knife causing another painful groan to leave him. The derailment of my plans tore my concentration to shreds.

This time I dug the point sharp blade into his neck and his Adam's apple bobbed as he swallowed.

"I'm going to slice your fucking little brat into millions of pieces and send them to you in an envelope."

"They're alive red, we faked all their death."

I bitch slapped him, I know that was a really shitty, undignified move but clearly I was thinking with my emotions switched on. He blinked a few times, un-reactive.

"You're fucking lying to me." I screamed in his face.

"I told your father about Grace. He was actually the first person besides Adrian that I ever told about her and the last person I ever expected to tell."

"Shut up! Shut the fuck up!" I dug the knife further into his neck. "Stop lying to me!"

"We took your father hostage, when you asked me not to kill him I knew I fucking couldn't. I loved you Red. I fucking loved you and all I wanted to do was make you happy.

So I went to your father and I told him how I felt about you. I wanted him to know I was telling the truth so I came clean to him about everything. Our family history, getting tricked by Petrov, us hooking up, Grace. I risked my everything for you. For us. I told him about Grace because I trusted you and your belief that your father was a good man."

My own tears were falling into my lips, tasting salty and my head hurt. I wanted to believe him, but I couldn't. I didn't trust him. This is what we did.

We fight.
We make up. 
We betray each other.
We're enemies.

"Funnily enough, in revealing my secret I actually found a mutual understanding with your father. He too had a child that he hid away from the mafia in order to protect her."