Day 1

NOTE:
Y/N = Your Name
L/N = Last Name
E/C = Eye Color

Your Pov

I watch as a tall man in a business suit tries to drop off a very energetic and happy little girl who appears to be extremely shy and will not let go of his hand. I had watched the two of them enter the classroom, the young girl refusing to release his hand despite excitedly greeting the other kids around her. However, she seemed wary of the adults and she eyed each one carefully, making me wonder if I wasn't quite standing out enough as a teacher her for her to notice me and try to gain enough confidence to let go of his hand. I wasn't entirely surprised she was looking around filled with anxiety as I had seen so many kids before her react the same way upon entering my classroom for the very first time. Even if they were attending school for the second year in a row sometimes it really was their first time being enrolled in school as some had been homeschooled through kindergarten.

"No daddy don't make me go!" She cries suddenly, clinging desperately to his hand as the worry continues to build in her eyes.

"Sally you promised me you wouldn't make a scene," He sighs softly in exasperation as his grey eyes quickly dart around the classroom.

"But I don't like it here! I wanna go home," She insists, tears coming to her big green eyes. "I don't even see the teacher. What if they're mean?!"

"Saaalllyyy," He groans softly, kneeling down so he's at her height to better discuss things with her.

"Need a little help?" I ask with a soft chuckle, going over to them after watching their little exchange from my peripheral while I was discussing a few things with some of the other parents.

"Gah a human!" Sally squeals suddenly, running and hiding behind the man where she hides away behind his legs.

"Sally," He groans softly.

I try not to snort in laughter when he face palms, hoping my face softens enough to appear less threatening as I give them both a gentle smile.

"Give it a week," I tell him gently, extending my hand for the girl's backpack and holding it in my hands when he hands it over.

"What?" He asks me in confusion, quickly scooping the little girl into his arms once his hand is free of the backpack. "That's an interesting opening line."

"Give it a week," I repeat with a soft laugh. "Today she'll protest and cry because she doesn't want you to go, tomorrow she'll cling to your hand, the third day she'll make you stand next to her, the fourth day she'll look over her shoulder to make sure you're still in the room until the last possible second, and on the last day she won't even care that you're gone. Well, she'll care but it won't be because she doesn't want to be in a room full of strangers but she won't feel like you leaving is you abandoning her."

"Really?" He questions, uncertainty in his voice as he seems to eye me warily.

"Oh yeah. She said the same thing to me last year with my little Scotty and by the end of the week he could have cared less that I was gone," A mom says, a baby on her hip as she glances back at her seven year old. "He had so many great things to say our middle one, Alexander, ran off to find friends as soon as we got here."

"You make them feel safe and as they get used to their surroundings they'll learn to feel safe around here too," I explain, motioning both to follow me so we can put away the bags. "You're trusting me to mold their young minds and it's imperative they feel just as safe here as they do in your home."

"See? It's not so bad, Sally," He insists as he turns his attention to his daughter. "Everyone is being super nice so far."

"Where's your kid?" She asks as she eyes me warily, her father's eyes widening in shock.