10. I Am Not

His friends left at around 2 am. Sometime at around nine, Kai ordered food because he said he was not about to cook. When I tried to go to sleep, he said "You can sleep on my chest." I'm sorry sir but no, I would like to sleep on a bed but I did not want to argue with the mad man in front of his guests, so I slept on his chest, partly because I did want to do it. The way he made me feel felt magnetic, as though I want to be around him at all times.

He took me to school in the G-Wagon, which I am thankful for because it does not draw as much attention as his other cars. I was not late for school but I was usually here before eight-thirty. The school began at nine.

Kate was still giving me the cold shoulder which no longer bothered me. I mean we may be civil but I asked for forgiveness and I showed her that Kai is no threat to me but if she is going to still ignore me, I will not mind, I will go on with my life.

Sam and I spoke a little during class as he asked about all the bruises on my legs, which were all due to me being clumsy. The bruises Kai gave me are on my waist, thighs and arms which are all covered by my uniform. I knew how it looked but I am genuinely clumsy and when I am around him, he catches me, covers handles and table corners so that I do not run into them. He may have a foul mouth but a man should be judged for his actions not just his words and his actions prove that he does care about me.

I go to the bathroom to fix my uniform. When I close the door to the stall, I hear a few voices. I do not pay them any mind and I go about my business.

"But honestly what does he see in her?" Who are they talking about? I don't like gossip but I love knowing things because it could always come in handy.

"I do not know but he is twenty-one and she pulled him away before I could ask what he does." Is that Kate? Who is she talking to?

"Twenty-one? Where does he get the money to buy cars like those and why is he with her? Is he paying her to be with him?" What the hell! Who is this?

"I do not think he would pay her for sex then drop her off in the morning and also meet Sibo and I, there is something else going on." It is her, who is she talking to?

"Maybe they are dating." Kate laughs before replying with

"Where is she going to meet a man like that, definitely not in the ghetto her black ass lives in." Did Kate say that? No, it must not be Kate, it is probably someone else who sounds like her.

"Yeah, you are probably right. So why are they together?" The other girl gets into a stall but does not close the door, well, I did not hear it close shut.

"I do not know but maybe if I talk to her about meeting him she would let us have a double date, then I can ask the guy." Kate's friend flushes the toilet.

"You think I could get a piece of him?" Kate giggles

"After we claw her hands off of him." They walk out of the bathroom.

What did I just hear? Pulling my phone out I want to call my other friend but they love Kate and I do not want to mess their thing up. I call my mom, the only person I need right now.

"Mom, can I come home? Something happened at school and I am not feeling well." I wait for her answer.

"Let me call your school but yes honey." I hang up and take a breath. I make it back to class and I wait for the announcement.

The announcement gets made and I go home. I send Kai a text that I went home early and after that, I switched off my data, I do not want to talk to anyone but my mother.

When I get into the house, the scent of dumplings and stew hits my nose. She made my favourite, this is why I only ever need her. I shuffle into her arms for a hug, which she welcomes.

"Go change and come tell me all about it." My mother always tells me to put myself first, above everything. She also knows that I love school so if I am asking to come home, it is a big deal.

Changing into sweats and the largest shirt I have. I plug my phone before heading into my mother's arms.

"What happened?" Laying my head on her lap while she braids my hair loosely of course.

"Do not judge me for my actions. A few weeks ago, I was walking home from school when I noticed this guy. Cute guy, he is tall, a bit on the muscular side and he just looked amazing. He didn't talk or anything but he waved at me so I waved back. Cool, it was the day dad came back from Joburg. The next week, I saw him again this time we had a little conversation and I learnt that his name is Kaiser. Fine cool, he asks to walk me home but I decline because Sir, I barely know you." A giggle escapes from her

"I tell Kate and Sibo all about him and we took him up on socials and the only place we find him is Facebook which was no help at all. The next day, it was the day before game day, he legit appears which was like after a month. He offers to take me home and I took the offer, sent Sibo his number plates and the car. Cool so we have a nice chill session in his car then I had a breakdown, embarrassing but he handled it like a gentleman and took me to the store and I bought a few snacks. Things happened and yeah, I stayed over at his place." My mom knows that I am sexually active, we have spoken about this and Kai and I are using protection, I am on the pill and he does use a condom.

"The next day, he drops me off at school. Nice right? Wrong. Kate was mad at me for going with a person I do not know. I apologized and she was still mad, she walked out on me and yeah, I let her. That day was her party so I convinced Kai to go with me so that she can see that he is not a bad guy. She grilled him and I thought it was over. I thought wrong.

Today, she was still giving me the cold shoulder. I decided not to care. During the second period, I went to the bathroom and guess who walks in, her and this other girl and start going in on me and she says "Where is she going to meet a man like that, definitely not in the ghetto her black ass lives in." Like I'm sorry but can you check your privilege? So yeah then I called you and came home to my favourite dish and now I am telling you how having a guy in my life caused my friend to reveal her true colours. I thought she did not like him for me not because she thought I could never catch a guy like Kai." My mom just holds and reassures me. My dad walked in on us watching when Harry met Sally.

"I'm going to sleep, good night," I say to my parents as I walk back to my room. I do feel better about the whole thing. My mom made me feel so much better.

I pick up my phone and I notice fifteen missed calls and forty-seven texts from Kai and a text from Sibo.

The text reads "You better not be skipping class to fuck Kai." What the hell? I call Sibo hopefully Kate is there.

"I did not cut class for Kai, I cut class because Kate was talking to some girl in the bathroom and I heard them say "Where is she going to meet a man like that, definitely not in the ghetto her black ass lives in." so I needed a hug from my mom, I called her and she told me to come home." She apologizes and tells me to come over whenever so we can talk about it. I hang up to call Kai.

"Kitten, I beg of you, tell me the truth, where are you?" He does not sound frantic but he does not sound like himself either.

"I am at home, something happened at school so I came home. Spent the day with my mom and we spent the afternoon with my dad." He sighs

"I was worried." He warms my heart.

"Don't be, I was safe, why were you worried?" Silence.

"I did not want my little kitten to get hurt."

"I am perfectly safe in my house."

"That you are, open the window for me. " getting off my bed and rushing to open the window for him. There he is outside my bedroom window.