Highway to Hell

I can't believe I have agreed to return to my old pack. When I said I would visit for a month, I swear Benji's eyes nearly popped out of his sockets. His mouth was hanging low. He couldn't understand why I would go to a place that he knew I hated. It was then that I had to explain to him what Pack Law was and that technically; I had broken it by revealing to him the existence of werewolves.

Benji shock filled his face. He felt guilty and blamed himself for why I had to return. He kept muttering that he had a big mouth and he should know when to shut it. It was then that I explained to him he was joining me on my brief visit. I could smell the fear waft off his skin. I sensed he was nervous about being in a town filled with werewolves. I knew he wouldn't be the only human. There were some that were mated to werewolves, but I knew their mates would protect them. Benji would be extremely vulnerable.

Before I left the hospital, I told Jacob that I would need to make arrangements for my company before me and Benji take leave. He was hesitant at first, but my wolf had given him our assurance that we would be there by the end of the week. It satisfied him. My response was simple, returned the sentiment by promising to protect Benji. I looked at him sternly and expressed that if anything happened to him, I would reign terror down on his pack. It didn't matter if I was a wolf or not; I had enough power and influence to ensure that financially, that pack wouldn't survive the next year.

That brings me to D-day. I was now packed and ready with Benji ready to make the trip to my hometown. Benji was apprehensive, but excited at the same time. I was standing in the Lobby with Benji who bouncing from foot to foot. Samuel approached us and he gave me a big grin.

"Good Morning Miss Romano." Samuel greeted with a nod.

"Morning Samuel. How are you today?" I replied.

"Very well, thank you. Much better than when we last spoke." He gave me a small smile. "Your limousine is outside. Are you ready to leave for your trip?" He asked.

"Yes, I am Samuel." I responded.

"Excellent, let me take your bags, Miss." He replied with a nod with a head and took my suitcase and carried it out the door. Benji picked up his small carry-on, ready for the long trip ahead. Jacob prepared the limousine as I explained I didn't want to travel by plane. I hated flying. Although I had traveled overseas, I usually took strong medication. That was something I was not prepared to do when travelling to enemy grounds. I needed my wits about me.

"They are not enemies. They are your pack." My wolf huffed in frustration.

"They are certainly not my pack. I feel no connection to them whatsoever." I snipped in response. Following Samuel as I made my way outside my apartment building. Samuel was already putting my suitcase in the boot. He was quick to relieve Benji of his personal effects and store them away.

Benji said thank you and quickly made his way inside the limousine. As I was about to join him, a warm hand had grabbed my forearm.

"Miss Romano, may I take a moment of your time before you go?" Samuel asked nervously.

"Of course, I always have time for you. What can I do for you?" I said with a small smile.

"I wanted to thank you. I know what you did. You were the only one with the means and funds that knew about my daughter's husband. I don't know what I did for you to help me and my family this way, but I couldn't let you go without giving you my gratitude. My son-in-law is getting the treatment he needs. When I went to make a payment, they said someone had paid the remaining balance and would continue to make payments for any future treatments. You have no idea what you have done for my family." He said, with tears welling in his eyes.