.014

┏━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┓

┗━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┛

When I wake up in the morning, my muscles all ache with a deep soreness that I feel as though no amount of stretching will relieve myself of. From the way exhaustion is still weighing down on me, I know I could've slept for another few hours, had I not been forced to sleep on the hard pavement that belongs to the rough highway. I would've opted for a spot in the forest on either side of the road, where I could circled up on a bed of soft leaves and dirt, but Rick thought it'd be easier to keep watch through the night on the highway, itself. I know he's still paranoid about the people from Terminus. I guess he has every right to be, but we have other things to worry about right now. Whatever is left behind is behind us now, one way or another.

We just have to keep moving.

I had created a bed of pine needles and dry leaves in my area on the highway, wishing it could be enough to bring me at least a little comfort. Carl had done the same right beside me. I had to use my arm as a pillow since there was no other option. I took some of my belongings from my backpack to let Judith use it as a cushion, even though it wasn't much. I even allowed her to hold Milo's stuffed bear while she fell asleep. I figure that even though Milo can't have it, there's no reason she can't. Plus, the sight of the silly looking toy put such a big smile on her face that I couldn't help myself.

When I turn over now, I notice that Carl and Judith are both gone from beside me. They're over with a few of the other group members by the small fire that had been created in the middle of the road last night.

I sit up and start brushing some stray pine needles from my clothing, watching as they fall to the ground. The fabric is covered in dirt and blood. It makes me wish very badly that I had a change of clothes, even if they weren't the cleanest. I had gotten rid of my other clothes yesterday since they just weighed me down and were too disgusting and riddled with holes for any hope of repair. I probably smell horrible, but I'm guessing we all do. We're just nose blind to the constant stench of sweat and filth.

Carl notices that I've woken up and comes walking over to me. I'm surprised Judith is being held by Carol right now and Carl had given her up for a little bit. Carl seems like he can barely let his sister out of his sight. I'd feel the same way, honestly. "Morning," he says.

"Morning," I reply tiredly, rubbing my right eye with the back of my hand. One thing that I've noticed since waking is that the pain in my calf has slightly subsided this morning. I don't really know what to make of that.

"Do you want something to eat?"

"Maybe just some water," I reply, grinning a little. He walks over to one of the open bags and takes out a full bottle as I continue to wipe the sleep from my eyes. "Thank you," I say, accepting the gift when he hands it to me.