08. boobies and chupa chups.

E I G H T

boobies and chupa chups.

Once I'm on dry land again I glance down at my phone that's hanging on by a thread. Its charge is getting down to single digits.

Where we are on the island is a less than ten-minute walk from my house. And I really need a shower. Opening up my phone that's dim due to the lack of charge, I manage to find my Mum's phone number and dial it.

It rings a few times before she picks up. "You okay, Frankie?" She asks.

"Yeah. I'm good, is Rafe still parked out front?" My foot kicks up some white gravel that litters the parking lot. There is so much in my mind I feel heavy. The weight of my thoughts is getting insane. All the secrets I'm keeping are getting hard to keep up with—one wrong word and it all comes tumbling down. Months worth of serious lies are going to catch up with me.

Lord alone knows what is going to happen then.

It won't be pretty, I know that much to be true. It'll be messy, people are going to get hurt. And, in the end, there won't be any winners. No one is going to walk away unscathed.

Rafe won't let me walk out Scott free. He'd die before that happened.

But the idea of complete mayhem isn't more terrifying that spending eternity with Rafe. For better and worse, in sickness and in health. Spending the rest of my life with a man who will hurt me in every way he can. His treatment of me is getting worse, not better.

"No, his car is gone. Are you coming home?" I can hear the ringing of the dishwasher finishing its cycle.

I turn to look at JJ who is waiting for me, "Yes. Just to have a shower and stuff, I don't know if I'll be home tonight."

"Well, your Father and I are out of town this weekend, so I don't mind. I'll leave you dinner in the fridge if you want it." I can hear the smile on her face.

"Thank you. I'll be there soon." We exchange a quick goodbye before hanging up.

I tuck my phone into my back pocket. "That was my Mum, I'm just going to go back to my house for a shower. I won't be long."

"Do you want me to come?" He asks.

"Nah, I'll be good. Get Kie to call me if anything turns up, okay?" I shake my head.

He nods, "Don't die."

I don't say anything, I just begin walking to my place. Cutting through all the shortcuts I've learned through a lifetime of living here.

The wind whips my exposed skin. The humidity has lifted somewhat, all that remains is the afternoon heat. Around this time of the year, my freckles pop up, my skin doesn't tan, I'm too white for that. It's the bane of my existence.

I hop over the perfectly manicured gardens of the old woman who used to bring me cookies. I got tricked numerous times with raisins that looked a whole lot like chocolate chips. I haven't trusted her since. Across from her is the man who spends his afternoons tending to the bonsai trees he enters into competitions.

Rumour is he killed the dog of the couple that lives next to him. No one likes him now—shockingly.

Fucking dick.

Jogging the rest of the way I finally get inside my house, the place smells like sausage rolls. I am not complaining.

My Mum is probably packing, I don't disturb her and just head straight to my room. Getting into my room I begin stripping off my clothes and get straight into the shower, washing off metaphorical grime and real dirt. I scrub and scrub my skin until it stings and goes pink. My wings work my scalp until I feel like half my hair has fallen out.