fifteen

Harry

I try to get my mind to fall asleep but I can't. My eyes stay open, staring at the ceiling in the dark. I still couldn't believe that happened. The way her lips felt, the pull I felt towards her. Her face soft and warm... fuck. I sigh, turning on my side. Beverly Gold. She occupied my mind. I could not stop thinking about her, and the night, and the words she spoke.

Friends.

I respected her too much to ruin it. If it meant I had to act like I didn't already know I wanted her, then fine. As long as she was comfortable. Plus, she did admit she liked me too. And it wasn't going to be the worst thing getting to know even more of her.

Beverly Gold. My mind raced. Why was she scared? I wanted for her to trust me so badly. I had no ill intentions with her. It was different. It wasn't just a Nadine situation. Although, it did look a bit bad that I kissed her so soon after my "break up."

Beverly Gold. Gold.

Gold...en.

I sat up. Quickly, I pushed the covers off my body, and headed straight for my music room. Grabbing my guitar, I sat on a chair, strumming a C chord.

"Golden..." I sing softly. The first thought that has came to my mind every morning I woke up was her. "Golden as I open my eyes..." Frantically, I look around for a pen and grab one from the music stand. I grab my music note book and scribble down the words.

"You're so golden..." Just like that, inspiration came flooding into me. I haven't felt this excited about music in a while. It felt like I was in a funk recently, but I was ready to be back. I continue to strum chords. D, E minor 7... it all came so quickly.

"And I know that you're scared because I'm so open." Almost instantly, the pages of my notebook were filled. I had told her I liked her so quickly but I could sense her nervousness that came with this confession.

"I can feel you take my soul... no... too cryptic." I mumble to myself. I cross out the words.

"I can feel it take a hold... I can feel you take control..." Better. It was ironic how her last name described her. Golden. She was so... golden. Everything about her lit up every time I saw her. This was perfect.

"I don't wanna be alone... you're so golden." I sing. "Da da da da..." I had the music playing in my head the way I imagined it to sound.

First song done.

I text my manager feeling proud. I was excited to get to the studio with the band, to put it together. I could hardly sit still. I checked the clock. It was already 2:30 AM. I set the guitar down, satisfied at the progress I have made so quickly, all inspired by her. I head to bed, and drift off, knowing that I would wake up exactly the way I described it in the song.

· · ·

My eyes blink open as I reach over and shut off my blaring alarm. It was 8:00 AM. I wanted to make sure I had time to get ready for our hiking date. I mean, day.

I instantly get up and check my phone. There were a few notifications, one being a text from my manager.

Great! Can't wait to hear it. Tomorrow morning.

I make a mental note, and open my conversation with Beverly.

Good morning. I look forward to seeing you soon. H.

I set my phone down and begin packing up a backpack. Waters, towels, sunscreen, and a few bandaids just in case. Some bars, and other snacks go in as well. I get dressed in black athletic shorts and a grey muscle shirt. I make sure to apply deodorant and pack my sunglasses and a hat. I decide to leave early enough to stop at a local coffee shop. I pick up two coffees and a few muffins for each of us and head over to Beverly's apartment.