The lost baby

"I cannot believe you just had all the fun alone," Celine pouted from where she stood next to the dressing mirror, watching me pack my bags for the trip. Trust Celine to find an exercise with her fist kissing someone's face the best form of fun. All morning she had remained by the mirror, staring at something in her belly. Sometimes I would ever have to snap my fingers to draw her attention. If I did not know my best friend well enough, I would say she had been crying, but that was too far-fetched. C never cried.

"It was really no fun," I said with enough dryness to make my voice croaky. My hands still hurt from clawing at Sarah even after days had passed.

"You got a chance to teach that witch a lesson in her own game, that's everyone's dream." she cried like she was trying to explain to me why veggies were good for me, "I hope you fucked the bitch up to a pulp,"'

"Sadly Lucas hauled her off me before I got the chance," I rolled my eyes, already feeling like throwing up as I remembered how everything had gone three days ago.

Lucas had spent these last few days going through every process to make sure what we had would be enough to keep Sarah away for some time or hopefully, for good.

I still felt a little sympathy for Emma. No matter how I looked at it, she was somehow a victim. She needed money for her dear nephew's treatment, Sarah offered her a lot more than she could have imagined and she gave in. But that did not make her actions right in any sense. And the fact that she did not see it as so only made it a lot worse. Like Sarah, she was going to be in jail for a pretty long time if all went well.

The kids were still with their grandparents, a fact I was grateful for since Lucas tripled the security over there. They were well protected, but that did not mean that it was convenient to have four men going about everywhere I had to go, thankfully, Lucas put the idea off after a solid glare and decided to limit his protective bodyguards to just the kids.

In my opinion, he was the best person to protect me, so I did not mind having to stay here under his watchful eyes before we finally left for our trip, away from this place and all that has worried us for at least the next two weeks. I planned to take the fullest advantage of this trip to fix my and Lucas's relationship to what it was before it met backstabbing housekeepers and psycho ex-wives, secrets, and lies too.

"Is it wrong that I want to punch Lucas so bad right now?" she said through gritted teeth.

"When do you never want to punch Lucas?" I snorted, "God I would have fucked her up so good," I made a fist as the thought raced through my brain.

Celine watched me with a proud smile, the type she had when she wanted to say something hilarious, "Being around me has taught you some good. Now I can die a happy woman,"

"And leave Alex behind?" I scoffed.

"Oh yeah," she said as if she had just realized an important fact, "Nah, I think I'll stay a little longer."

I chuckled, shaking my head, I could always count on C to lift my mood any day even when she was clearly not in her highest spirits.

"I knew that bitch was going to be trouble from the first fucking day," Celine sighed, as she sprawled on the bed looking at the ceiling. She was clutching her stomach again, and she probably did not even notice. It was a little weird, but I refused to assume any possibilities until she told me what was going on.

I dumped the clothes I was packing and went to lay next to her. "Thankfully, Lucas is making sure she does not bother us anymore. I am so tired of hearing her name in our lives."

"I know," she turned to face me, "I may not be Lucas's biggest fan, but I really want to see your real smile back on your face and I'm glad he's doing this."

"This is not my real smile?" I gave her a toothed smile.

"You are not fooling me," she clicked her tongue and gave me a look that told me she had more to say.

I propped myself up on my elbows, "spill."

"There's nothing to spill," she sighed and reached for my baggage, with a frown she grabbed a pair of leggings, "You're taking this on a vacation."

"They're my cutest pair," I shrugged.

"Have I really not taught you anything?" she sighed and started to rummage through my bag.

"That took me so long to pack, what are you doing?" I got to my feet, watching as she sorted the clothes.

"Making sure you do not have anything to embarrass me in here, I cannot believe you are taking something so unsexy on a fucking trip to Italy." she shook her head in mock disappointment.

"First off, ouch." I held my heart, "I will have you know that when worn by the right person, a pair of leggings can be the greatest turn in for any man." she gave me one of her "what the fuck," looks and I rephrased, "Okay not the sexiest, but still, I need clothes."

She gave an exaggerated sigh that reminded me of Abby and shook her head, "You're going on a trip with your boyfriend Chris, what the fuck do you need clothes for?"

"Um...we're taking two kids with us," I waited for her to see reason. "and they happen to be 5-year-olds." her eyes flashed with something at the mention of the kids, but she quickly covered it up with a forced smile. If I had any doubt before, I knew for sure now that something was wrong with C. "What's wrong bess?" I inched closer to her, but she scooted back.

"Why would you think there's anything wrong apart from your fashion taste right now," she gave a toothed smile. Her statement lacked the usual amusement that accompanied them when she teased me. Celine only got that way when she had something on her mind. I could tell that much, sadly thought I could not do anything but wait until she would decide to tell me what it was.

"I don't know what you are talking about but I know Leggings are hella sexy,"

"Of course they are...when you are not on a trip halfway across the globe with a sexy as sin boyfriend."

"I tthoughtyou hate Lucas," I raised an amused brow.

"Your words, not mine," she lifted her head to give a smile that showed her perfect teeth before going back to her job of repacking my bags. "besides, I'm just trying to help you hold back from making a bad choice. That's what best friends do, they stop each other from making terrible choices that can cost them the ones they love, or choices they would most definitely regret in say five years to come." she took the clothes out angrily as she rattled on and I knew at this point we were no longer talking about my choice of clothes. "best friends are supposed to be the first person you run to when you have any problems because they're supposed to listen to you and pull you out when you are in a dark place and..."

"Okay breathe C," I wrapped my hands around her shoulder before she could rattle any more words. "Is this about Alex?"

A streak of tear rolled down her cheek as she nodded. I frowned as more tears streamed down her cheeks. Holding he close to me, I made her sit on the bed and sat next to her, brushing my hands through her hair, "what did he do this time?"

"It's more like what I'm doing to him." she tried to laugh, but just ended up turning into a bigger sobbing mess.

"Wanna share?" I asked carefully.

"Are you giving me a choice?" she scoffed.

"No," I said simply, "tell me why you're crying."

"I'm pregnant," she paused, and without letting me express any reaction, she added, "or at least I was."

"Celine?" I stared at her in shock. "What did you do?"

"Lost it..." she whispered, fresh tears rolled off her cheeks Her next words came in a loud wail that completely broke my heart for her. "I lost it a day after finding out I was pregnant."