Vacation

"Please stop running," I cried for the hundredth time as I led the kids through the cabin. A few hours ago, they were almost shedding tears because Lucas had refused their request to bring Zoey along, and now, they seemed the most excited as they hopped and skipped happily all the way here.

Kids.

It was beautiful how their mind worked. Their lives were so simple I was almost jealous. One minute they were sad about something and the next minute they were happy about something else. The fact that their small innocent minds could not harbor pain for too long was the best.

Grown-ups were a completely different story though. My best friend was proof.

In the last few days, I had had to sit through each painful session as Celine recalled every step of all that happened that night. I had never had to go through that before, and quite frankly, I never believed it was possible to form an attachment with someone whose existence they only realized hours ago, but Celine's state made me rethink that.

It hurt to see my best friend so sad, and even more because nothing could be said or done to console her, I could not do anything. I could only sit by her side, listen to her pour her heart, and comfort her. If I had to wish for any powers ever, it would be to take away the pain of what Celine was going through.

Alexander had been more supportive than I could have ever imagined. He had surprised me so much even though I could see that just like Celine, he was hurting. He though was doing a better job concealing his pain than C. The only reason I finally gave in to C's constant protest to leave for my trip was that I had seen proof that she could be trusted with him, emotionally and physically, I could trust Alexander to take care of her for me.

Yet, I was still worried as shit. All through the drive here, I checked my phone constantly, hoping she would text me and ask me to come back, that she did not want me to leave, but I knew my best friend too well. Celine would never want me to hold back from something that would help me feel better.

All that happened in these last few days had been terrible to say the very least and this trip had to be the very best thing to happen for us right now, if only though, I could get my mind off C.

I gave up calling after the kids as they raced through the cabin, before disappearing through a door, leading to another part of the jet. "Should they be going back there?" I asked the attendant as she took the bags I had packed for the kids and me.

"That's their room," he explained, "they are allowed to venture that far. I'll show you to your room if you wish."

I tried to keep a straight face as I looked around willing myself to remember we were on a jet about to take off to Milan and not booking a hotel room.

"That would not be required," Lucas said from behind me, "I'll show her to our room." he pushed his luggage too into the overhead cabin as he gave the attendant a few instructions to keep an eye on the kids at all times through the trip.

"Are you sure they're fine with her?" I asked as she disappeared through the curtains.

He chuckled and came up behind me, wrapping an arm around my waist and kissing my shoulders, "I see my apprehension has rubbed off on you too."

"Can you blame me? They had bodyguards Lucas, Bodygaurdds," I cried, hoping he would see how unreasonable that part was.

"I just had to make sure Sarah was not getting any chances with them again. I would die first before I let her get to the kids again," he vowed.

I had almost forgotten that Abby and Aiden were the dearest things in Lucas's life. In fact, it was not wrong to say that they were his very life. And every time it made me love him even more to see how much he cared and loved them. "Also, everyone on board right now is not only loyal to me, but trustworthy. They'll look after the kids."