Chapter 1

Jungkook came in late to first period Pre-Calculus, again. It was two weeks into his junior year of high school and he had been on-time only once so far. Luckily, his teacher was talking with a student by her desk in the front corner. Ms. Seong didn't notice Jungkook settling into his seat in the middle of the back row. He congratulated himself on avoiding another detention. Several girls tried to catch Jungkook's eye as he sat down and looked around. He really was, by far, one of the best looking boys in school. To the girls' disappointment, Jungkook's bored expression glancing across the class did not stop on any one of them. 

Jungkook's black hair was undercut. Today the short hair on the sides was exposed and the longer top part was swept back off his forehead. His school uniform shirt was somewhat untucked and his tie was a bit loose. He was decorated with necklaces, rings, and earrings. The chain hanging from his pants pocket, coupled with the tattoos on his hand made him look tough.

Ms. Seong addressed the class, "Attention class! We have a new student today please give her your attention and make her feel welcome." Then, turning to the girl, "Madison, go ahead and introduce yourself to the class."

The class watched as the pretty new girl waved, smiled, and said, "Hello, my name is Lee Madison. I hope to become friends with all of you! Please take care of me." She bowed, then looked around at everyone's eyes and smiled at them, as if she really wanted to be friends with each person. 

Most of the students thought she looked really nice and friendly. But her greeting was a little overly enthusiastic for Jungkook. Friends with everyone?! That seemed a little ambitious. Jungkook rolled his eyes. 

The teacher motioned Madison to take her seat. A little dismayed, Jungkook looked around and realized the only empty seat in the room was next to him. The desks in the room were put together in pairs. He generally tried to sit by himself. He didn't really like people talking to him. He got annoyed with the constant flirting from the girls and he didn't really have any guy friends except for his brothers.

The new girl made her way down the aisle to sit next to Jungkook. On her way, she complimented a girl in the front row on her hair bow, and told another girl she really liked her shoes. As Madison approached her new desk, she smiled brightly and caught Jungkook's eye. He glanced into her eyes briefly wondering if she could possibly really be this happy or if she was trying to make a good first-day impression. Whichever, it was completely annoying, he hoped there would be another available seat she could move to soon. 

Jungkook lowered his eyelids a bit and offered the new girl his 'I'm completely bored' look, which was one of his specialities. Unfortunately she didn't take the hint and smiled at him even bigger, "Hi, I'm Madison, it looks like we are going to be seat partners, what's your name?"

Jungkook looked at her bright eyes and bright smile and blinked a couple times despite himself. She was a bit overwhelming.  He shook his head a little. He didn't answer, but turned to the front of the room as Ms. Seong started her lesson on Polynomial Division by Factoring. He glanced to the side to see if the new girl sobered up with his lack of a response. But she just continued to smile as she took out a spiral notebook and started taking notes on the lecture.

After Ms. Seong talked through several example problems, she assigned work from the book. Each student reached under their seat, grabbed the textbook from the wire metal rack and started working on the problems. Jungkook hadn't taken any notes but he had always been good at math. He worked through the problems in record time, like always. He usually slept for the last fifteen to twenty minutes of class. 

He had just laid his head down on his desk when he heard the new girl speak. "Oh, wow. You did that quickly. Do you mind helping me a little?" He looked over at her work to see which one she needed help on and was surprised to see she had only written down the first problem.