Chapter 68

Chapter 68

This was a moment. We were having a moment right now.

Lexi's hand was on my chest, and I could feel her gaze on me and somehow, I had this wandering thought that if I opened my eyes and told her I loved her she wouldn't push me off the bunk bed.

A few days ago, I had thought something was obviously wrong between us, and now I almost hopeful about being honest with her about my feelings.

This girl really did a number on my rationality.

"Would you two shut up? I'm trying to sleep here," one of Lexi's roommates asked loudly sounding quite annoyed.

I muffled my laugh, while Lexi pressed a hand to her mouth to stop herself from laughing out loud.

The hand on my chest didn't move.

Was I obsessing over the hand on my chest? Yes, yes, I absolutely was.

WHO WOULDN'T?

Lexi Grayson was kinda acting like she liked me, and what would be the point in acting like this for her, if it wasn't because it was maybe slightly true? She was so close and she was so pretty and this was really torture, but in the best kind of way.

"I'm sleeping now," I mouthed to her to not get scowled again.

She smiled back. My heart was beating too fast.

My whole body felt warm.

Lexi just nodded beside me, the smile still on her lips but turned her head away from me, staring at the ceiling.

I closed my eyes and tried to sleep, because that was what I actually needed to do right now. If I wanted to be coherent. This was really not the time for me to ruin my chances with Lexi because I'd say something idiotic while being sleep deprived.

Still, I couldn't sleep. Because even if her presence was often soothing it was also always intoxicating. And we were so close. So so close.

I dozed off a little. I was half dreaming, replaying the conversation we just had now, but not enough to say I actually slept.

I was still hyperaware that the love of my life was lying right next to me in the tiny bunk bed.

After a little while, her room started to get crowded again. I heard Stacey's distinctive voice and hid under Lexi's blanket, making her shake with silent laughter.

People were making comments. There was a boy in Lexi's bed.

Oh, the horror.

"We should probably get out of bed," Lexi whispered beside me.

My eyes were still closed.

I could let my imagination run wild for half a second. For half a second, Lexi was my girlfriend and this was just standard procedure. I'd sleep in all the time with her in my bed. And my Pumpkin would be the one waking me up every morning.

The half second passed.

"Noooooo," I whined, and grabbed Lexi's blanket, hiding my head under it again.

"Stop acting like a child, we should go eat something," she chuckled, trying to pull the blanket off of me.

"I'd be a lot more cooperative with a kiss," I replied, puckering my lips towards her teasingly.

She leaned in closer, and then whispered, "pushing you off this bunk in five, four, three..."

I laughed at her countdown, and reluctantly crawled out of Lexi's bed.