Chapter 23 - Boyfriends?

James

I hold Daisy in my arms while she takes a much needed nap. I cannot believe I yelled at her.

She didn't seem like she lost trust in me but she also has seen a part of me that I never wanted her too.

What she saw was not nearly half as scary as I could actually get. So now I'm going to be extra careful with her. I do not want her scared of me.

I pull her close and listen to her steady breaths. She is so peaceful.

Wait never mind.

Her breathing quickens and she starts whimpering.

"No...no." She pleads. She can not catch a break when it comes to them.

"Daisy." I whisper softly, while shaking her.

Nothing. Her whimpers turn into cries. "It hurts... please stop!" She cries in her sleep.

I pull the hair out of her face. "Daisy please wake up baby." I shake her a bit.

She shoots up taking a large breath of air and looks towards me. I softly smile at her before opening my arms so she can sit with me again.

"All I want to do is sleep." She mumbles against my chest.

"I know, I know, all I want is for you too sleep too." I kiss her forehead.

We sit in silence as she gathers herself. It must be terrible constantly waking up from nightmares.

She got barely any sleep last night and she won't get any tonight either.

"Hey Daisy?" She nods her head telling me that she's listening. "Do you still want to go out with Dante today?"

"No." She cries. "I'm too tired."

"Okay, what do you want to do then?"

"Is he still here?"

"I believe so why?"

"Can we do some art together?" She asks me shyly.

"Yeah come one let's go." I get up from her bed and pull her into my arms. She wraps her legs around my torso and arms around my neck. She shoves her face into the crook of my neck.

I walk down with her in my arms and catch sight of Dante and Roman playing video games.

Typical

"Dante come with me." I call out to him. He looks back along with Roman and looks worried. Especially when he sees Daisy wrapped around me.

He walks up to us and puts his hand on Daisy's back.

"Hey sweetheart is everything alright?" He asks in the kindest voice he could possibly muster up.

"No." She whispers. He looks up to me worried. I look to Roman who is staring at us. I give him a nod and he seems satisfied as he turns back to his game.

I take Dante and Daisy to the art room and set her down in her chair.

"What are we doing today?" I ask her.

"Uhm painting." She says as she gets up and grabs a canvas for each of us. "I'll be right back." She tells us and leaves the room.

I look at Dante. "What are we?" I ask him. I really need to know.

"What do you want to be pretty boy?" He answers tauntingly.

"My family enjoys having you around and so do I. Are we boyfriends or just.. friends with benefits?"