6.

It was a nice day out for late September and Hermione walked slowly back from Hogsmede. She wanted to take advantage of her time outside before the snow really started to come down and it was frighteningly cold. 

"Hermione!" She heard someone yelling her name and hoped it wasn't Ron. She turned around and frowned. It wasn't. Draco Malfoy was running after her. She had no desire to talk to him after seeing Ron today and turned back around without a word. She was being terribly rude she knew, but she wasn't ready. She just wasn't. 

Draco stopped quickly when he realized that she was not going to wait for him. It had been almost 3 weeks since they had found out who their partner was going to be. He had thought by now she would have at least said hello to him. He didn't know what else to do. 

"Still no luck?" Blaise asked as he finally caught up with Draco. 

"She turned around and looked at me and then kept walking. I guess that means she doesn't want to talk yet."

"Have you talked to McGonagall about it like I told you?"

"And say what?"

"You just have to tell her the truth Draco," Luna Lovegood spoke softly and it startled Draco. She had forgotten that she was with Blaise. They had all gone to Hogsmead together today so Draco could get to know Luna better. 

"I think it would be counterproductive if I went and told McGonagall that Hermione still wouldn't speak to me and if she goes to Hermione and makes her. I want her to trust me. I don't want her to be miserable."

"All you have to do is say that to McGonagall. She will lead you on the right path." 

Draco didn't respond to this. He had never been led down the right path. He didn't know what that was like. And quite frankly that terrified him. He was tired of not knowing. Tired of living on edge. Tired. He was just tired of what his name caused him, what his past actions caused him."

"Alright, I will give it a try."

Draco thought today would be a good day to go see the Headmistress. He didn't have any classes and his homework was all done. He walked up to her office and knocked hard on the door. 

"Come in,"

Draco walked in and immediately regretted his decision. 

"What can I do for you, Mr. Malfoy?"

"Um...you know what. I...nothing. I should be going."

"Sit down Mr. Malfoy."

Draco did what he was told. He didn't want to tell her that Hermione wasn't speaking to him. He didn't want to make it a big deal. He wanted her to come to him when she was ready. 

"Now tell me why you are here."

"Luna thought it would be a good idea for me to tell you."

"Tell me what?" McGonagall tried to hide her smile at the mention of Luna's name. She was glad that she and Mr. Zabini were getting along. 

"Hermione won't speak to me."

McGonagall looked at Malfoy to continue. She had told Hermione to take her time, but she didn't think it would have been this long.

"I tried to talk with her the first week but she was avoiding me so I stopped. I left her alone all last week and this week trying to let her take her time. I saw her today walking back from Hogsmead and I tried to call out for her. To speak to her and she just walked away."