15.

Memories ~ The Lesson

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincedence, three times is enemy action Renallo and I want you to think clearly, think about how the rogue killer is killing their victims, it prowls the territory, waits for unsuspecting wolves or humans who belong to the pack, lures them out of the protection of the pack using different methods then pounces, killing by either mutilating the body, carving away at the body with a hunting knife or snapping their necks." The older alpha Hunt explained to his son what had happened recently, a series of murders had taken place over the last month and Renallo had picked up a trail which he had presented to his father and now they were close to finding a culprit.

"Father, we need to track him before his blood lust takes a turn for the worst and he begins targeting kids." Renallo advised and his father nodded but there was a question lingering in the air. "How?" His father asks and Renallo sat back in his seat to think about how exactly he was going to plan his operation  flush out the killer before they murdered someone new. "Are you alright with this, you've made excellent progress over this past year." Alpha Hunt questioned and Renallo understood why his father was worried, rather apprehensive, he had slipped back into his feral state more than once over the months but he now had control, he wanted to protect the pack, his family, this was some sort of redemption for his past deeds because he was also protecting the pack from himself in the only way he had figured out how, but in that mix, it gave him the feeling of what it felt to fulfil his duty as the alpha.

"Alright, if you feel you're capable, I won't question you, rather support your plan when you actually have one." Alpha Hunt concluded as Carson walked into the office. "Hey are you alright?" He asked with a sincere smile etching his lips, Renallo only nodded, he appreciated Carson's patience, he never pushed him and was always there when he needed him, he was a good soul and Renallo hoped not to taint him with his filth. "I'm alright, can we—do you want to go on a date tonight?" Renallo asked hoping Carson accepted, he hadn't made an effort to meet Carson halfway in their relationship if it could be called that, and now he was going to try, he had to, he had failed one mate, this was a second chance and he dared not to mess it up. "Yeah, I would love that." Carson answered with a hopeful gleam in his eyes, how Renallo wanted to keep it there, how he wanted to protect him, the pack, he had to find the killer before the killer struck again, with a deadly blow he wouldn't recover from, he feared that most of all.

~|~|~

Renallo Hunt.

"Come we need to get you home." I asserted and Carson nodded as we weaved our way away from the carnival, how had things gotten this horrible, why were they getting this horrible, the sudden appearance of the Dantes in Sandton was a sign, I knew that for sure, the appearance of Saint or his lookalike was the seal on whatever fate that awaited all of us, this was no coincidence but right now I had to focus on getting Carson away from the hanging body and the packed carnival just like the small Dante family had, he was a strong wolf, I could tell because he seemed delicate and that was exactly his weapon, his beauty drew you in and he would strike mercilessly, though I suspected he would never be crude enough to do it, though he was a wolf I couldn't be completely without doubt.

"Love, what's going on,wasn't Jacob arrested?" Carson questioned as I peeled away from the parking spot and drove back to the pack. "Yes he was, and I don't even know how he got there, his trial was supposed to be held at the pack after bail was paid and obviously there wasn't going to be an execution but he would be punished, whoever did this wanted something else, they wanted blood and the way they placed his body, that was a sign itself." I replied Carson my thoughts mixing into my theory, I knew I was scaring him so I stopped. "I'm sorry, I shouldnt even be saying this, I don't want you stressed." I apologized and he chuckled, as Luna Carson was great, he handled everything perfectly, and in the truest of ways I was in love with him, I had learned to love him and I cherished him though now my past threatened our future. "We'll be okay." He comforted me and I reveled in his comfort, I appreciated it a lot.

Once at the pack my father was waiting for me by the door to my house. "Good morning you two." He stated with a tone that suggested a lot of things, the news had already made it's a way to him I guess. "Good morning father, care to come in?" Carson asked but my father was going to politely reject, I saw it in his reaction. "As much as I would love to have your lovely food, we have matters to deal with, I'm sorry Carson." He apologized and my mate nodded with understanding. "Renallo you have to see this." He stated in a grave tone making me frown at what he was asking me. "What is it father?" I asked apprehensively and he sighed. "Its best you come see for yourself." He replied turning to walk toward the east side of the pack, it was a dense forest, only wolves were allowed at that part, humans needed a guide if they were to camp there, for their own safety.  "Dad, what's going on?" Carson questioned holding his stomach protectively, I knew I had to talk to him about it, but that conversation could wait as I spotted Necmi's mate and family huddled around a body, his mate specifically crying.

"We found him hung by one of the trees, his eyes were already gouged out, a note by his body." My father explained as I walked past him and Carson remained back with him. It couldn't be, it can't, Necmi was alive, I had seen him yesterday night at the dinner. "No, no, what happened?" I asked as Necmi's mate wailed even more, he went out this morning for a jog, the pack patrol said that they saw him talking to some humans who seemed lost and he was guiding them back to the safe part of the territory, he never caught up with them, I asked the alpha to have the others help me search for him and we— oh Necmi!" Her cries of pain and loss echoed in my ears, what the hell was going on, Jacob was dead, now Necmi.

I fell to my knees tears burning my eyes, someone was hunting us, I looked at the note, it was printed out and the only scent on it was ink. "Those ignorant shall die ignorant, for he stayed ignorant and another died." I mumbled lowly reading the note, I barely knew what it meant but I knew whoever was doing this, had motive, looking at Necmi's body, his wounds, they looked as if he had been dragged over blunt spikes, they tore his flesh apart, then an image made its way into my head, rocks, jagged rocks to be specific, it was similar to that and realization dawned on me, it couldn't be.

As the afternoon came I mourned my friend with his mate, Carson handled me the best and he did, he helped Necmi's mate aswell, now a festival meant for happiness was turning into a slaughter, I had to find out who was killing my friends before they got close to killing anymore of them. As I sat in the lounge looking at the flames my head felt like it would explode, I wanted this problem gone, but I just couldn't wish it to vanish, I had to face whatever it was hoping I survived. As Carson opened the main door sounds of celebration echoed in the house, we had kept Necmi's murder under wraps so that the pack would continue celebrating, the guests had to feel safe, but I was no guest, I had to mourn my friend, and tomorrow I would find his killer.

+++

LMJ