"The Druid and the Flower" - a story of survival

The Druid, Conor, is a wanderer. A private man, he prefer to be alone,  surrounded by nature.

Maeve, the Flower, is a hard-working, gentle soul who loves to nurture and encourage.

Both born after “The Collapse” and its subsequent domino effect, they grow up as best they can in the new era. Conor’s path takes him into the dark world of the scavengers, one in which only the strongest and most ruthless survive. Maeve, on the other hand, grows up in a community that foresaw the end of the technological era years before, and had prepared.

When their destinies cross,  they become a force to be reckoned with.

After the community is devastated by a double loss, it is up to Maeve and Conor to hunt down the solutions they need to repair and move on. Hardships abound as the two of them go separate ways in order to find that which the community must have to survive. Through scavenger terrain, other hidden communities, and the walled city where evil is king, they soldier on for the sake of those they love.

Unbeknownst to them, however, they have more problems than just the ones they encounter on their journey.

Written by Russell Loyola Sullivan, this was a book that was very hard to put down. He tells a dystopian tale of a very different flavor than a lot of books of this genre. Throughout its pages, there is an echo of hope and love, one of faithfulness and the value of community. I was touched by the way everyone backed each other up and really felt for each other. The city was well-depicted as truly emotionally dark, which is ironic, considering it was the only place where electricity worked.

Now, the ending–that was not expected. But I’ll let the reader find that out.

It was very easy to step into this world.  Mr. Sullivan uses everyday things here, just as his characters must. A very clever story line, and a very impressive book. I highly recommend it.