Chapter 27

After hearing the splash come from the waters of the Black Lake; George, along with Harry and Ron not too far behind, ran straight to the source where the sound had come from. Standing on the dock, George saw Susan staring out into the waters of the lake with a smile on her face.

"Good luck getting her out. I made sure the mermaids were extra angry tonight." Susan said right before she vanished into thin air.

George then ran onto the dock and overlooked the waters. Sitting on the edge of the dock was Trista's owl necklace that she always wore. George then picked it up and realized it was hers. He immediately took off his jumper and threw it beside him. He now only had his undershirt on and he quickly took off his socks and shoes.

Ron and Harry then caught up with George and realized what he was about to do. They saw Trista's necklace in George's hand and their hearts both skipped a beat. They saw no signs of Tris but her necklace, that she never took off, and they remembered hearing the scream and a splash.

George took off his last shoe and turned to Harry and Ron. "Go get Madame Pomfrey and tell her to get some warm blankets." George said. Ron then listened to his brother and took off down the path towards the castle.

George then took a deep breath and dove into the freezing water. He had his wand in his hand and he used his wand to create a light so he could see. In the water he saw Tris trying to get free from the angry mermaids grasp. She was quickly running out of air and she didn't have her wand to help defend herself. George then casted a defensive spell and the mermaids scattered. George then swam to Tris as fast as he could and he wrapped his arm around her waist.

He could feel her trying to swim at first, but then her body just went limp in George's grasp. "Ascendio!" George mumbled underwater, and he and Tris then shot to the top of the water. Harry was relieved to see he had found her, but he could now tell that she wasn't in the best condition.

George was trying to catch his breath and he continued to try and get Tris to land as fast as possible. She slowly then opened her eyes and started coughing. George let out a sigh of relief knowing his girlfriend was awake and conscious.

Finally George made it to the banks of the lake, where Harry was trying to help them get out of the freezing water. He helped Tris to her feet and she was shaking like a leaf. Harry grabbed her hand and helped her all the way out of the water. George then ran to the dock and grabbed his clothes.

Tris tried to stand, but her legs just didn't have the energy. She collapsed to the ground and George ran straight over to her. He took off her thicker sweatshirt but left on her thin long sleeve. He now managed to put his jumper on her and he knelt down beside her lifting up her limp body.

She buried her face in the corner of his neck and wrapped her arms around him. He carried her all the way to the castle and through the front doors. Madame Pomfrey and Ron were coming down the hallway when George walked through the doors with Tris in his arms. Harry was right behind with George and Trista's belongings.

"Bring her to the hospital wing quick. We can't have her catching pneumonia." Madame Pomfrey said. Professor Dumbledore had heard Ron telling Madame Pomfrey about the incident, and he came to see if it were true. He saw George soaking wet, carrying Tris into the hospital wing and knew that Ron was right.

George then laid Tris on the bed and Madame Pomfrey kindly told George to go get some sleep. She assured him that Tris would be okay, and she told him to go change into some warm dry clothes before he too caught pneumonia.

George was hesitant to leave at first, but he was freezing from being in his wet clothes. He made sure Madame Pomfrey didn't leave her side, and finally he walked away from the hospital wing to let his girlfriend sleep.