⤷ 08| STAY

chapter eight : stay

☆ ☆ ☆

Juniper was glad to see that Cedric and Alaska were already standing near the door to the Great Hall. The latter was looking around in awe—something that made June smile.

Harry slipped into the Great Hall while Severus vanished into a door. June turned to Cedric.

"Did the Sorting Hat say anything interesting?"

"More of the same, really . . . advising us all to unite in the face of our enemies, you know," Cedric said.

"Dumbledore mentioned Voldemort at all?"

"Not yet, but he always saves his proper speech for after the feast, doesn't he? It can't be long now."

June turned her head and watched the staff table. Almost immediately, she noticed Charlie's red hair. He was seated between McGonagall and Hagrid and seemed to be in an enthusiastic conversation with the latter—June suspected they were talking about dragons. However, he turned his head and caught her eyes, giving her a broad smile. June smiled back.

Dumbledore rose from his seat and the talk and laughter echoing around the Hall died away almost instantly. Next to June, Alaska held her breath.

"The very best of evenings to you!" Dumbledore said, smiling broadly, his arms opened wide as though to embrace the whole room.

"What happened to his hand?" Alaska whispered.

She was not the only one who had noticed. Dumbledore's right hand was as blackened and dead-looking as it had been on the night he and June had come to fetch Harry from the Dursleys'. Whispers swept the room; Dumbledore, interpreting them correctly, merely smiled and shook his purple and gold sleeve over his injury.

"Nothing to worry about," he said airily. "Now . . . to our new students, welcome; to our old students, welcome back! Another year full of magical education awaits you . . ."

"His hand was like that when I saw him over the summer," June whispered to Cedric and Alaska. "I thought he'd have cured it by now, though . . . or Madam Pomfrey would've done."

"It looks as if it's died," Alaska said, with a nauseated expression "But there are some injuries you can't cure . . . old curses . . . and there are poisons without antidotes."

" . . . and Mr Filch, our caretaker, has asked me to say that there is a blanket ban on any joke items bought at the shop called Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes.

"Those wishing to play for their house Quidditch teams should give their names to their Heads of House as usual. We are also looking for new Quidditch commentators, who should do likewise.
We are pleased to welcome two new members of staff this year. Professor Weasley, who will help Professor Hagrid out, and Professor Slughorn, who is a former colleague of mine who has agreed to resume his old post of Potions master."