Chapter 26

Orian POV

"These stones are completely untraceable."

I ignore the dealer. I look to my diamond broker. We share looks and he nods.

"Allotrope of carbon under high pressured conditions. Right from the dark continent."

My hands in my pockets, leaning against the Persil wall of the office. I nod at one of my men. He breaks from the corner with the steel suitcase and hands it to the dealer. My broker pockets his jeweller's loupe, neatly packing the prize of diamonds into the velvet box. And then some of my guards escort them all out.

Eager, I leave as well, on my way to find her.

I first go to the suite. She's not there. Training room. She's not there.

Find her! My mind screams. Common sense tells me she couldn't have escaped. Even if she did. I would've been alerted.

Grappling for my calm, I head outside. My eyes spot her immediately, her divine frame at the gallery; the nose of the ship. But she's not alone, she's with Torin. He's been sniffing around her a lot lately. His back leaning against the railing, his attention rapt on her, looking at her in a way that makes me want to tear out my own brother's heart.

I whip around.

"Boss."

"What?"

Akio fidgets, avoiding eye contact. "We cross-referenced the information with Hadassah's file and the data Chief Anderson gave us. I found the nexus between her and a Markov Sidorov."

I step closer, motioning for him to continue.

He swallows, looking anxious. "Allegedly, Hadassah had exposed one of his human trafficking rings, lost out on millions and the bust forced him into hiding." He looks down at the folder in his hand. "When he came back on the grid, he went looking for her."

"And?"

"Uh," he stammers. "He found her. His men ambushed her and brought her to him. According to the medical report." He hands me the folder. I open it, perusing the list of injuries. "She was assaulted... brutally. He was never convicted."

Fury roars through me, ripping me apart from the inside.

"Move," I whisper.

He darts aside without question. I hurl a fist at the glass behind him, a web of deep cracks form around my bloody fist. I shake out my hand, unbothered by the pain. My shoulders deflate from the released pressure. I turn to face Akio. With my other hand, I give him the folder. Droplets of blood pelting from my clenched fist and onto the ground, staining the briny air with slight metallic tinges.

"Bandages. Get her mother's number from the file and get her on the line. Then bring the phone to me."

Akio snaps a nod.

"I want a location on Sidorov by day's end. Then send a team."

"A hit?"

"Grab team. No, I'll do that part myself. I want to take my time."

He leaves. Shortly, Sherly comes with a whole first aid kit. She pleads with me to sit, then she takes out the miniscule fragments of glass, disinfecting the abrasion before bandaging my hand. When she's done, she offers me pain pills. I stand up and walk past her, descending be on the sundeck.

A few meters from the tip. I pause to observe them for a moment.

Sakura laughs at something he says. Even though she is sun-drenched, forest-brown skin radiant, her smile aglow. She shines brighter than the sun itself. Torin takes notice of me and straightens up. Condescendingly, I wag my finger at him, beckoning him to come to me.