Chapter 15: Trouble

I want to dedicate this chapter to everyone who is going through a tuff time. And I hope everyone is healthy and doing good. If not you have my love and support!

❤️❤️❤️

"Where am I?"

The second I heard my cousin's sweet voice more sobs erupted from me, now happy ones. I threw myself at her and hugged her. I thanked the universe for returning my sweet cousin to me.

"You're awake!" I cried into her shoulder. "Thank God!"

When I didn't get a response I looked at her still hugging her. She looked confused as she slowly and carefully pushed me away.

"I'm sorry, but who are you?" She slowly rasped out confusion written on her face.

It felt as if my world collapsed when she said that. What does she mean? Can't she remember me?

"What do you mean?" I couldn't help the hurt in my voice. "This is not the time to joke. I've been dead worried about you. All of us have been."

She looked guilty but she didn't speak right away. I could see her thinking, trying. I could see it in her eyes that she had no idea who I was.

"You really don't remember?" I asked dreading the answer.

She shook her head.

"Could I get some water?" She asked her voice raspy and weak.

"Of course. I'm sorry I should have offered." I quickly go to my bag taking out the water bottle and walked back to the bed. I unscrewed the lid and gave it to her.

"Thaks." She mumbled taking gulp after gulp of the water until the bottle was empty.

"I'm sorry for drinking all your water." She apologized giving me the bottle.

"Don't apologize, it's ok." I reassured her fiddling with the bottle.

"What do you remember?" I hesitantly ask. Did she actually forget me?

She's quiet for one, two, or three seconds before she breathes in a shaky breath. "Nothing."

It felt as if time stopped. As if the entire universe just froze, didn't want to experience this moment.

"Nothing?" I repeat.

She only nods. I can see that she is trying to hold back her tears. "What's my name?"

Her question surprises me for a moment.

"Chiara." I say her name softly. "You're 16 and we're in New York." She nods but says nothing.

"I'm gonna go get a doctor or nurse or someone and I'm gonna call your parents." I stand up to leave when she stops me.

"Who are you? You never said." She looks at me with glossy brown eyes.

"I'm your cousin, Bianca. We grew up like sisters, we're very close." I explain before leaving the room to get a doctor and call my uncle and Antonio since I didn't have Francesco's number.

---

It had taken about five minutes for Antonio and Francesco to burst through the door, making me flinch.

It had taken another 30 minutes for my uncle and his wife to arrive. They came alone without their other children since they didn't want to overwhelm her.

The doctor explained that Chiara had amnesia. I was shocked when he said it, it didn't look as if she had a head injury.

He explained that the memory loss was probably caused by trauma and that she should get her memory back soon.