20.

Memories ~ The Sacrifice ~ To Reject a mate.

"Alpha Dante your son cannot do this!" The man in Senior's office yelled as he slammed his fist down on the table which cracked from the force. "Control yourself Valor." Alpha Dante spoke lowly his eyes turning a dangerous shade of gold that induced fear into Valor, the wolf had been yelling at his alpha because of what his son had planned to do to his daughter. "Please alpha, try change his mind, she will be hurt and I fear she may not recover." Valor argued, pleading with his alpha not to let Kyro go through with it, they were meant to be together. "I can't do anything Valor, I cannot choose who my sons love and who they want to be with, even the Dantes of old would've done the same, Kyro is a grown man, he can chose for himself, then be able to live with the consequences of his actions." Alpha Dante spoke apologetically, indeed there was nothing he could do, this was Kyro's decision, Valor sat down defeated with his head in his palms. "Goddess." He whispered.

In the pack territory by a bench near the old pack house which still housed a lot of the pack Kyro and Melanie Valor sat opposite each other, neither of them spoke, just sat there as the sun moved across the sky. "Would we have survived if he weren't in the picture?" She asked as she refused to let her tears fall. "Maybe, the future was uncertain until I fell in love with him." Kyro replied trying  his best not to hurt her, she was a good person, she loved her pack, her family, she had a whole plan for her future, it hurt Kyro how she had waited on him for so long only for him to love someone else, someone he couldn't let go of.

Melanie chuckled as she looked up to the sky. "The goddess does not make  mistakes, she just has a way of changing our lives in different ways and challenging us with the harshest of trials to see if we are worthy of the outcome." She spoke in a faraway voice, her pain so evident but Kyro couldn't do anything, he wanted to reach out and comfort her, his mate but the thoughts alone had him feeling sick, as if the thoughts of betraying Saint were like poison. So he settled himself on that bench and hoped she felt how sorry he was, sniffling and pulling herself together Melanie looked at Kyro with accepting eyes, she had no choice in this, she couldn't force a man who didn't love her to be with her, that would be harsh and the guilt would eat at her soul so she would rather move on and live to find someone just for her, so she nodded and held out her hand, their connection was already weak, the sparks were there, they just didn't feel real.

"I Kyro Dante reject you Melanie Valor as my mate." Kyro whispered as pain shot through his body as the threads that intertwined them snapped, with tears trickling down from her eyes, Mel nodded softly, this was hard, goddess it was hard. "I Melanie Valor, accept your rejection." She whispered as both of them slumped back onto the bench, Kyro had now played his cards, now he would wait to see if his sacrifice would go unpunished. "Thank you for freeing me." The girl next to him mumbled as she stood up to leave, he nodded in acceptance, what else could he do, he had broken her heart.

~|~|~

Saint Drake Dante.

Seeing her and knowing what she had done was true, was a blow to the gut that hurt and I could only walk away forgetting she ever existed, I needed to do so because she nolonger mattered, she was a past memory of a boy who died. "You ready for the pack hunt, we are only to catch and release, so boring." Lincoln grumbled as he stood next to me and I chuckled, he wanted fresh blood, somehow I knew he would be replacing that fresh blood for the corpse of hers. "Its a hunt and run to show peace and unity, which is what we are doing right now." I explained as my mate came up behind me and hugged me, his rippling muscles making me wonder if we could get up to mischief in the woods. "Nope, nah uh, I know that look, not happening." Lincoln called out making Kyro glare at him while Deniz and I laughed our asses off. "I did nothing, said nothing too." I defended and he gave me a blank look, seriously, I was half serious, being naughty was a trait in my marriage that I enjoyed very much.

"Almost everyone is here." Deniz commented as we settled down and I nodded in agreement, most wolves who could shift were here, young and old, but Senior, Meredith and Lincoln's mate didn't come along with the kids, I had convinced Senior to stay behind with them, I need them all to bond so that the tensions between both parties lessened and Senior saw the potential in Lincoln's daughter as female alpha one day, it was her right just like it had been her father's, choosing not to dwell on the issue now I decided to focus on Jonathan who was approaching us but the moment he got close the tension skyrocketed. "I'm alone." The man raised his hands as a show of surrender. "What do you want boy before you hang by your carcass." Lincoln's wolf grolwed out making me sigh, he was already overprotective of Deniz add my being pregnant, well, the alpha was dangerous and since it was a full moon tonight, he was also edgy just like Kyro being touchy touchy. "I wanted to see if Deniz was okay." He murmured and I truly felt sorry for him, being away from your mate hurt and at this point Jonathan and Deniz had been so far apart yet so close, it must've been hell, so I decided to enact my own plan, the only one who could survive the wrath of two alphas was me, and I used it to my advantage. "Deniz, why don't you go scout a water source for me in the woods, if Jonathan is familiar with the territory, take him with." I suggested and all four wolves looked at me as if I'd preached blasphemy. "But—." Deniz tried to argued. "Now before I get bored and decide to go home, I will see you during or after the run." I exclaimed with a wink and he nodded taking Jon with him and taking off into the woods like two love struck wolves, as they left the two huge alphas looked at me with burning fury, so I did what I did best just as the moon reached its peak, I shifted and made a break for it, howls filling the warm night air.

Kyro howled to the wind as he gave chase after shifting. "I will get you mate!" His voice screamed in my head, this is what wolves lived for, the hunt, the chase, wolves that I passed and those that passed me looked twice before running further into the woodlands, I knew the reason being my wolf was silver without any spots and my large size despite my small body as a human, it baffled me too. As I sprinted further into the Niari pack woods I could spot Deniz with Jonathan in wolf form, those two could fit the role of Kiara and Kovu from the lion king only more wolfy and definitely gay with the way they were going about, as if wolves weren't all around them, I gave my wolf control as the hunt began, going further Kyro appeared in front of me looking  large and menacing like a predator. "Got you." He hungrily whispered as he stalked toward me tackling me to the ground, we rolled in the dirt and shrubs, he tried to pin me down but I wasn't going down easy, we rolled to our own little space as the wolves began to gather by the open field just beyond the stream, it was tradition to gather there and accept blessings from the moon, however my mate had other plans, with no intention of having a front row seat I let my wolf take over just as I assumed he did because Shadow was quick to mount his mate, I was vaguely aware of what was happening, largely because I was avoiding it, this was my wolf's time with shadow, I didn't want to intrude, an hour or two maybe three passed as they went on and on, I reserved the right to complain, we their counter parts did it too.

After what felt like agonizing hours Shadow finally let go, I felt exhausted, so I slumped to the ground as I got control back. "How long did we go at it?" Kyro asked excitedly like a fool. "Give or take three hours." I replied as we finally stood to our paws, I was sufficiently healed but I would definitely feel the aches tomorrow, we slowly made our way to the stream where the moonlight shone on us from above, drinking the water slowly I felt uneasy, the wolves were a fair distance from us but something was wrong. "Kyro." I mumbled in his mind. "I know, let's go join the others." He replied and in a burst of speed we made our way to the others, we were surrounded, and something or someone was definitely watching us. "You sure went at it." Lincoln teases as he trotted over to us just as Deniz and Jonathan do the same. "Do you smell that?" My little brother asks as the winds blew around us and the smell of wolfsbane hit my nose, Kyro growled as he looked opposite the direction we came from. "Hunters." I projected into my family's minds causing them to howl a warning to everyone. "Run!"

+++

LMJ