▪︎ Chapter 5 - Blue and Yellow ▪︎

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

Warning/s: short

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

Y/n's POV

The smell of jam and the searing pain forced me up. I rolled over onto my side, and looked out of the tree, watching the blue sky melt into the grass. The added purple and green hue swirling around were disorienting, and it only made my head hurt more.

There was no one around, not for miles, I would have to actually find a city and get help. It wasn't possible to just survive with the amount of jam I was losing. Perhaps going to sleep is not a good idea.

I pulled myself to the edge of the tree and swung my legs around, so they would hang off. After willing myself, I pushed away from the large branch, making me fall to the ground. It hurt like hell but, I didn't have the energy to get down in a normal manner. Gathering myself was tough, but I managed to stand up, clutching onto my side as I stumbled forward.

'Oh, Y/n... Why must you make things so difficult on yourself'

It was late morning by now, the sun wasn't only just rising, but it wasn't overhead yet. If I could hurry, I might be able to find someone that can help. Maybe a healer, or even just a doctor. The lightheaded dizziness I was experiencing would make it hard, very hard.

I pulled a bun out of my pocket, hoping it could give me enough sustenance to live through this unforeseen event.

Going in one straight path guarantees for me to run into someone, but how long would it take? I didn't know this area well enough to place each of the surrounding civilizations. My town, judging by the landscape around me, the rolling hills, and shorter trees, was nowhere near this place.

I measured the steps I took, looking back every few steps to the tree. No one would find me here, me nor my body, not for a long time. I tightened the sweater around my body, wincing at the pain, and trudged forward.

The dirt mixed with the off-running jam and created some sort of mud, mud that was getting stuck to the bottom of my shoes. That was rather gross, and it made it more difficult to walk. The grass upcoming should solve that, at least temporarily.

105 steps.

The tree was far behind me now, but not out of sight. Now I could see the outstretched of land, trees not in the way. At the farthest part of the scape, I could something resembling buildings. That would be an hour's walk, for someone who wasn't injured. This was taking forever and I didn't have forever.

227

I was hitting a hole into my bottom lip, hoping that minor inflicted pain would distract from the throbbing pain in my torso. It was not well at covering it up and only drew blood from my mouth. I bit down harder and harder, the blood dribbled out of my mouth. The trees were much more scarce now.

378

The ground was comforting, it was hugging me as my mom would. It held me down, or maybe that was the force of gravity. I had one outstretched hand, grasping towards the distant city. I wanted to call out, not like anyone would hear me from miles away.

The dark shadow overcast in my eyes created a growing vignette, forcing my eyes shut. A cold shiver sent my body back into the sleep coma I arose from this morning. That was a bad idea.

More ???? POV

The cookie crumpled to the ground, and they were out. Trauma-inducing memories were the only things keeping me back from helping them.

'You can't help them, they need a real healer.'

"Well there is no healer, not for miles, I have to try..." I whispered to the demeaning voice in my head. I tightened the cloak I had made, from the leftover tarp, around my body as I rushed forward. They looked young, hopefully they would not recognize me. I don't recognize myself. No one should, that cookie died a long time ago.

They were cold to the touch, did they die? I reached for their arm and felt for a pulse. They had one, a weak one albeit, but a pulse still. I wrapped my arms around them, and pulled them against my chest, before heaving them up.

Perhaps, I still knew that one trick. I shut my eyes and allowed those taunting feelings and memories to take over, the faint glow from the healing process. Oh, how it hurt.

Still huddled against me, I wandered away from the city. The cookie may not know my identity, but those city folk might. That was selfish, maybe, but I had to do what I had to do.

I carried them many lengths away, not sure what to do with them. The clothes were not those of someone who lived in the forest. They had been to the city, or at the very least, had access to pricey material. A lost cookie that wandered the forest, much like I was. Except, I wanted to be lost, not have to belong anywhere or to anyone.

...

Well if that isn't the edgy-est thing I've ever thought...

I would bring them to my shelter. Once they were back on their feet, I'd simply send them on their way. Problem solved. Easy peasy.

The cookie stirred, causing me to almost drop them, and fall over myself. Oops. They weren't supposed to wake up this soon. I picked up my pace, not wanting to have to set them down here of all places.

Ahead, I saw the meticulously built structure, made of sticks and vines. It wasn't amazing, but it was a lot better than nothing at all. It was my home.

I pushed the door open with my foot, and rushed them inside, setting them in my makeshift bed. Not to brag but, it was pretty comfortable, even for just being scraps I could find from people's trash. I pulled the door closed behind me, and carefully inspected them.

A h/c frosting framed their face, one filled was an innocence and I hadn't seen in a while. Their clothes were dirty and looked torn, but they resembled those I had seen in the windows of shops downtown. The injury they had sustained was now completely healed, but they remained fatigued. I was only able to do so much, after all...

I sat down, cross-legged, right next to them. I had conflicting feelings. On one hand, I was pleased to no longer be alone, to have someone to care for. But on the other, I was afraid I would hurt them, or they would hurt me.

With my hand, I pulled their hair back from their face, as gently as I could, and I felt my heart swell. Healing them... Saved them. I saved them, by doing something I was so passionate about long ago.

I WAS a healer because now they are alive, they had a second chance. I was a healer cookie.

Healer cookie...