XVII. The Encounter

Grogu, Din and I spent the nigh at my mom's. I got the chance to see my childhood room again, it brought back so many memories.
Every single thing that is in my room has a special meaning to me, from the picture of me and my mom to the Millenium Falcon and rebellion posters. My collection of figurines of the various species in the galaxy is still placed on the shelf above my bed. 

My thoughts are interrupted by my mother, who appears from behind the door.
"Tesoro? I think your friend is afraid of me"
"Oh no, what did you do?"
"Nothing! Coversation"
"Please tell me you didn't interrogate him police-style"
"I didn't?" she replies embarassed
"Mamma, I told you he doesn't like getting too personal" I start pacing to Din to rescue him from hurricane Carla

I see him feeding Grogu in the dining room
"Hey" I sit beside them
"Kai!" Grogu exclaims, greeting me before Din
"Hey"
"Are you comfortable here? My mom is a pretty nosy person"
"To be honest, yeah I noticed" 
I laugh 
"But it's nice here. Quiet"
He turns back to Grogu

"You know, Din, everytime I brought home my friends she'd always ask them everything about their life. And if they were boys, she'd imply that we were together"
"Oh"
"Yes, that includes you. Yesterday she told me just that"
"I wondered what you were talking about in your language, yes"
"Don't worry, I told her that we're friends"
"Okay... Thanks, I guess"

I furrow my eyebrows, Din seems strange. Is it possible that he's tired of having me around? He used to be alone or with Grogu... Maybe this is a signal that he's had enough?
I shake my head, if he had some problems about me he would have told me already.

*Din's point of view *

"I wondered what you were talking about in your language, yes" I said to her. And it was true, language skills always interested me. For my job they usually come in handy. For now I only knew Tusken sign language and Mando'a... And "Egg" in Jawa, how could I forget.

"Don't worry, I told her that we're friends"
I replay in my head what Kaira just said about her mother thinking we were a thing.
Sure, it's weird, but the thought of us together and being a little family really warms my heart. So hearing this next word makes me have mixed feelings. A bit of relief because her mother wouldn't be snooping around in my life, and disappointment because Kaira immediately denied. And there there is some hope in one corner of my mind that hopes that she  only said it because she feels something too and doesn't know what to do.

The only thing that comes out of my mouth is
"Okay... Thanks I guess"
I look at her without making her notice it, one of the perks of my beskar helmet.
I see her furrow her eyebrows. Did I say something wrong? Did I use a wrong tone? Or she is thinking about something else? I don't want to seem a cold person to her, I don't want to scare her away. I truly don't.

*Kaira's point of view*

Seeing that Din is done with Grogu I seize the opportunity to change the subject
"Anyway, Grogu and I need our daily meditation. Let's get in the garden, piccolo"
Din nods, so I take him to put him on the ground before walking away with him.

After our Jedi routine I get to the living room, where my mom is showing Din how to cook a cake.
"Ciao, mamma. Sorry to interrupt your lesson, but I think it's time to return in the safe house"
"Already? Oh, che peccato! Okay, okay, I was almost finished anyway"
"Thank you ma'am"
"It was a pleasure to meet you, dear. Kaira, tesoro, let me give you something"

She opens a drawer and takes it a piece of light brown clothing.
"It was your father's. I think you should have it now"
I take it and see it in its entirety, it's a Jedi cloak, similar to mine.
"Thank you mamma,for everything. I promise I'll come here again soon. I love you"
"I love you too"

And like that we were out of my childhood house, ready to go back.
We head for the spark, going through the main square, where usually is super crowded.
"Is it always this quiet?"
"This side of Anchorhead is never quite" I reply looking around
"I have a bad feeling about th-"
I interrupt him by stopping and making him bump against my back.

The Child has is ears down, looking around nervously. He feels it too.
"DIN, RUN"  I start sprinting toward some big metal boxes on a landing bay with my friend and Grogu close behind. Just as we take cover a K79-S80 imperial troop transport arrives shooting at us.

"Dank Farrik!"
I concentrate to feel what's inside of it.
"Twenty individuals. Stormtroopers"
"Should be easy"
"Aren't you underestimating the situation?"
"It's stormtroopers, they suck!"
I look at him in a 'Seriously?' face
"Come on, Satri. Don't ruin the fun"
I put Grogu in a safe place.
"Okay, if you say so" I take out my lights aber "And by the way, it's Kenobi"
I jump out, lights aber ready. Imma french fry these guys up.

Din jumps in two seconds later with his blasters, muttering something about 'showoff bossy Jedi'.

The stormtroopers start shooting at us. I can't understand why they are chosen as soldiers, they are so naive. Some blasts are aimed at the beskar armor that easily prevents Din to get hurt, and the others are deflected by my lights aber and sent back to them.

It doesn't take a lot of time to take care of half the platoon, but as I'm swinging my weapon I see two darktroopers walking towards Grogu's hiding.
"Not again!" Din says after spotting them too.
"I'll cover you! Get him"

Din runs as I get closer to the soldiers. I manage to stab one and to throw away another by using the force. Three stormtroopers are still up with their blasters, I spin my lightsaber as I get closer. I kick one of them in the groin before elbowing his head.
The next one tries desperately to disarm me in close combat, but after a punch in the stomach he's down on the ground.
The last one raises his hands
"Please, don't. I surrender"
He takes away his helmet, revealing his face and blonde hair.
I nod and start going to help din, but I feel him taking out the blaster. I deflect the shot and hit him.
"Nice try, sport"
I roll my eyes before running to Grogu.

I see Din battling one of the two droids, and the other one that's being... Crumpled?
As I get closer I see Grogu using the force to beat it. I smile.
Nice job, Padawan.
I put him to safety again.
He looks at me for a second
"Mama"
I widen my eyes
"Do I look like-... There's no time to do this. Later"

Din falls on the ground, and I extend my hand to the dark trooper remaining and I tear its head off.
"You're welcome" I help him pulling himself up as he sighs
"Thanks Kai"
Din puts away his beskar spear and we start look around for more. opponents. Grogu stays between mine and Din's legs, safe.

Then I see a figure. A man wearing black. He stops a few steps away from us.
I take my lightsaber out to protect the three of us.
"We finally meet"
That voice
"Hello there... Chicken"
"I'm not a chicken, dammit!"
"Sure... So you are...?"
"I'm your doom. Fenn Gideon, I think Mr. Djarin knows my brother"

A/N

I put in a Vines reference, whoever finds it wins a cookie. (And please if you don't know Vines get your laptop or phone or whatever and go educate yourself 😉

-Haar'chak_Kaira