Family Reunion

My parents stood in front of me, their faces held nothing but shock and surprise at my haughty demeanour. I mean, did they really expect me to pull them into my arms and cry? Could they not comprehend that I wasn't the same girl I was eight years ago? Eight years is a long time for things to change. The last time they saw me, I was an 18-year-old with big dreams. I was barely a woman. I was a child who broke by those who I loved.

Now I was a woman who was confident, powerful in her own right, independent who needed no man to lean on for support. There was nothing left of the girl who hid in the shadows. I was now the star that shined in the sky. I glimmered through the adversity that my family and pack had caused me. They couldn't even reach me, I was so high up. A part of me hated them for what they did, but if they hadn't pushed me to leave, I would have never become who I am today.

"Louise.. it's really you." My mother whimpered. The tears cascading down her face were never ending. "My baby, you're home." She sobbed. The fake facade of mother only reminded me of the mask my sister wore. Even tear was nothing but fake. I passed my father a look of disbelief. He was a smart man but was so wrapped up in her act, he couldn't see the reality.

I'm surprised that they had recognised me. My once raven hair was now fire red. It was long, curled and flowed down my back. When I was a teenager, I rocked a black pixie cut, not caring for the upkeep. My face, which was once filled with blemishes, was now crystal smooth. No longer did I look gaunt or sickly. My skin was now glowing. The skinny, fragile child that was once malnourished is healthy and curvy. My cheekbones were high, eyes hidden by long thick lashes. I could see that my presentation shocked my father. For he had never really given me a second glance.

"I go by Loretta now. Loretta Romano." I sighed.

There were gasps and whispers that came from the surrounding crowd. I knew people would recognise who Loretta Romano was. She was famous and one of the most sought celebrities in the country. I was expecting their shock. The girl that was once small and malnourished who caused nothing but trouble for the Pack was Louise White. The Beta's unwanted and shamed child.

I looked between Jacob and my parents, who were audaciously expecting a positive response after welcoming me home. Internally, I was scoffing at this facade. I knew Jacob was trying to show his pack that he had found his lost Luna. I'm guessing he never told them I was back because he blackmailed me. A part of me wanted to smack the back of his head for giving them false hope.

"Louise, we just wanted to say-" My parents blubbered.

"Do you really want to do this in front of an audience? Can we not have this conversation somewhere more private? We shouldn't discuss our personal matters in front of others. Wouldn't you agree?" Sarcasm dripped from my voice.I have an image to uphold now."

Both my parents slouched and hung their heads in shame. Jacob pursed his lips at my response. I could see he was expecting me to play along with his little game. All I could do was shake my head. He didn't understand I wasn't the same girl I was when I was a teenager. I no longer had that softness about me, that disappeared the minute the family and pack betrayed and discarded me that stood in front of me. I raised my eyebrow to Jacob, challenging him to dismiss my request.

"Pack members, thank you for welcoming our guest of honour. If you would all return to your activities for the day. You will all be able to meet with Loretta this evening at tonight's BBQ," Jacob bellowed.

Pack members nodded their heads. Some were walking away without sparing me a glance, others left while peering over their shoulders wanting to quick look as if I would disappear into thin air. No one re-entered the pack house. The only people I could sense were Benji and Lewis. Their heartbeats were strong and beating hard. I presume they were becoming acquainted with each other in ways that I didn't even want to imagine.