Chapter 20: Cuddles and Comfort

Stepping out of the car I try not to wake the sleeping Lizzie up but fail horribly. The car door slams shut and wakes her up making her jump from fright. Shit.

"Sorry Lizzie," I whisper as I open her door for her.

"It's ok. We're back already?" She asks in a groggy voice.

"Yes, we are. Do you want help getting inside?" I ask her.

"Can you please carry me inside?" She asks, closing her eyes again and letting out a big yawn.

"Sure I can," I reply and pick her up in my arms, being careful not to bump her casted ankle.

I lift her out of the car keeping her in my arms as I walk to the house. Her arms are wrapped around my neck loosely and her legs flopped over my arm. As I'm walking to the door she snuggles her head into my neck keeping her eyes closed and I can't help but blush. She's so cute I can't help myself.

I make it in the door and bring her right into my bed. I lay her down and grab some of my clothes from my closet for her because I don't want to rummage through her stuff. I pick out a comfy pair of sweatpants and one of my favourite hoodies. It is half black and half red, faded in the middle. I tap her arm softly to wake her up and when her eyes open I smile at her.

"Do you want to change into these clothes before you sleep?" I ask her, hoping she will say yes.

"Mhmm. Yes please." She says and reaches her arm out to take the clothes from me.

"Call me back when you are done ok?"

"You can just turn around you know. You don't have to leave." She says and I glance at her before turning around to face the corner of the room. I listen to the sound of her throwing her clothes on the floor and struggling to get the pants over her boot cast.

"Do you need help?" I ask.

"No I think I got it thank you," she responds and we go silent again until she is finished.

"All done," she says with a smile and flops back down into the bed. She lifts the sheets over herself, tucking in the edges tight to her body to keep the warmth. I smile at her actions and she smiles back.

"Do you need anything else?" I voice as she closes her eyes.

"Nope, I think I am good. Thank you y/n. For everything." Lizzie utters as she shuffles in the sheets to get more comfortable.

I start to walk over and open the door to exit when I hear her sit up. I pause and she speaks.

"Where are you going?" She asks in confusion.

"I was just going to go get ready for bed and head into the office to sleep. Why?"

"Oh... you're not sleeping in here?" She asks and I look at her confused.

"I wasn't going to. Do you want me to?"

She pauses for a moment and looks me in the eyes before saying, "yes. I do want you to." She smiles and opens the sheets for me to get into bed beside her. I'm not sure what's going on with her lately but she wants to be with me a lot. I'm definitely not complaining though. I love it.

I climb into bed beside her and the second my back makes contact with the soft sheets, Lizzie's head is resting on my shoulder and her arm is laying across my stomach. I can feel my heartbeat faster in my chest as I try to relax but it will not slow down.

Her hair is ticking my neck and I need to scratch it but I don't want to make her have to move. I patiently wait until I can't take it anymore so I lift my head away from hers, scratch my neck and move back into the position before. Thinking she would just put her head back on my shoulder, I make space so she can get comfortable again. But she doesn't. Instead, she turns over to face the opposite of me and cuddles up in the sheets by herself.