The test

With everyone occupied by one thing or the other, sneaking out of the house was not so hard. And as for bypassing security, well a tenny tiny lie for a good cause never hurt anyone.

Right?

I knew there would be consequences for this action. God, I was actually sneaking out, like a 16-year-old. But maybe the results of this might just deflate Lucas's fury when he did find out. Between being on the brink of going crazy and the undue attention that would result from having an escort come with me, I had a good feeling I was doing the right thing.

15 minutes later, I was pulling up in the parking lot. I considered going to a drug store, but with very limited time and the option of trying to find a pharmacy in a foreign country, I decided to stick with a superstore. I checked my phone screen as I hunted the aisle for kids' party essentials. No call or text from anyone, meaning no one had noticed I was gone yet. That was good for me. The quicker I got back the better.

After buying the Candies and some more balloons for Zoey, I made my way to the main reason I had come out. I stood in the pharmacy aisle, trying to figure out which brand would be best. I had not realized there would be so many brands. I had zero experience with pregnancy test kits, mostly because before Lucas I had never really been with any guy longer than a few weeks, a month tops. And I never really let myself take liberties as much as I did with Lucas.

I wanted so badly to seek my best friend's thoughts on this but knew better than to do that. Celine was still on Lucas's side with the 'no going out' rule and I knew Lucas would be here in minutes if Celine found out I was out here alone.

With a sigh, I picked out the one closest to me. I just needed something to tell me in clear words whether or not I was pregnant. After checking out, I made my way to the loo, forcing my legs to keep a regular pace and not run into the toilet like a crazed woman on the brink of peeing herself.

With shaky hands, I locked the bathroom stall door and practically ripped the box open. The instructions were pretty easy to follow but with my shaky hands, I dropped the testing kit into the toilet.

"Fuck," I sighed, rubbing my forehead. It seemed completely dumb that I would be so mortified of a simple plastic kit. I reminded myself that no matter the outcome, Lucas was there, by my side. Even if I did turn out to be pregnant, I was not going to do it alone.

That was all I needed to calm my spiraling nerves.

Still, I had two choices, pick the testing kit from a public toilet used by thousands of people daily or run back out for a new set. Yeah, the first was not even an option worth considering at all.

After running around the store a second time, I was back in the bathroom stall, and in a much better state to take the test. Thanks to the ginger ale I had earlier, it was pretty much easy to get the flow coming.

I sat on the toilet seat, trying to figure out which angle would work best but only ended up drenching my hand in pee. "Can this day get any fucking worse?" I said through gritted teeth, raising it to see if I had at least gotten a few drops in. I did.

Should be enough.

The instruction said to wait at least three minutes before the results would come up and once again the fear of the unknown crept through me. Flipping the test over on the sink, I cleaned myself up not wanting to look at the results just yet. Thankfully, the absence of anyone else gave me the chance to pace the space as I counted the numbers in my head, mumbling the famous french chant.

He loves me, he loves me not...