6: New Beginnings

Once when Chiharu was 5 his parents left him in the bathtub. 

Haru himself had no idea why the memory popped into his head, but it did. It was the day of his first sports festival and he came home dirty and covered in grass. His parents had actually taken time off of work to watch him run in the relay race. 

He'd had the time of his tiny life and he was just so damn excited. His mother had clicked her tongue at him, pulling the twigs out of his hair with an affectionate expression. "Go get in the bath, I'll come in after a couple minutes to wash your hair. I doubt you can get that all out yourself." She had told him. 

So he had. 5 year old Chiharu had rushed into the bathroom and started himself a bath. He rinsed himself off before, of course. The boy was honestly quite excited. This was the most interest his parents had shown in him ever. 

5 minutes passed. By then Chiharu had decided he should was his body first. He got out the soap and a wash cloth and made quick work of scrubbing the dirt off of himself from head to toe. 

He wasn't sure how long that took but his mom still wasn't there when he was done. "Mom?" He called out, hoping she would hear him. Maybe she got a work call? Maybe she got distracted talking to his dad? Chiharu didn't really know, but he knew that she was taking too long. 

With a pout on his face he called out again, louder this time. And again. And again. And again. 

Half an hour passed and tears were burning in his eyes. Chiharu didn't even know why he was crying. It might be fine. She might just have started dinner early or something. There could be an emergency. He took a deep breath. 

"Dad? Mom?" He remembered calling out for both of them. Either of them. Anyone really. No response. 

By then the water was cold and Chiharu's teeth were chattering. His hair had started to dry off, still dirty from the days activity. But he waited. His mom said she was coming to help him, so he waited. 

When Chiharu finally left the bathroom he remembered seeing the night sky. In the end he had washed his own hair with cold water. He had also slipped and hit his head while leaving the bath, which scared him. It didn't hurt, but he was plunged underwater by the fall. Coughs wracked his tiny shivering body as he walked into the dark living room in search of his parents. 

There were dirty plates on the coffee table and a movie was playing softly on the tv screen. His parents were asleep on the couch, completely oblivious to the world. 

Chiharu shivered at the memory. He had gotten himself sick waiting in the bath that long. 

A voice in the back of his head disagreed though. It sounded a lot like Keigo saying things like his parents were the reason he got sick. It said stuff like he could have drowned and that 5 year olds weren't supposed to be alone around water deep enough to drown in. 

Hawks was weird like that. Whenever Chiharu mentioned something about his homelife casually he would get this really worried expression. Maybe Keigo grew up with parents like Izuku's mom who always fussed over him and gave him more attention than he really wanted. 

That must be why he's such a good hero. He's just naturally caring because of how he was raised. Izuku was like that too. 

Chiharu worried sometimes that he would end up making people feel the way his parents sometimes made him feel. Lonely. 

Maybe he wasn't suited to being a hero in more way than one. 

--------- -------- -------- -------- --------- -------- --------- 

The train ride to the first U.A was awkward to say the least. To start, everyone was staring at them, obviously recognizing the uniform. Some people even took pictures and Chiharu tried desperately to hide his face behind his best friend. He was too plain looking to be a U.A student. 

But the other awkward part was the fact that Izuku and Chiharu weren't the only U.A students taking this particular train. Bakugou was here too. The groups were ignoring each other (groups because Bakugou had enough hot air for two people, maybe even three), but ignoring someone was hard when everyone was whispering about you. 

When they finally reached U.A it was obvious that Izuku and Chiharu were anxious. This was a big moment. The biggest moment they'd have so far in their entire lives, except maybe Izuku's diagnosis as quirkless but Haru hadn't moved in yet when that happened.

Speaking of Izuku's quirklessness, he still hadn't told Chiharu that he had a quirk. He had been bruised to shit after the entrance exam but when Haru asked he had said he didn't want to talk about it.  

Not that Chiharu was bitter or anything like that. 

"Are you ready for this?" Izuku asked as they got off the train. Chiharu looked at him, still a little anxious. 

"Uh, sure?". 

--------- -------- -------- -------- --------- -------- ---------

Case in point, he was not ready. The weird caterpillar man had given them gym uniforms and made them change and now Chiharu was all sorts of panicked. Could he really do this? Like seriously? 

"Oh, and whoever places last will be expelled." The caterpillar, apparently named Mr. Aizawa said. Chiharu's stomach dropped and he met Izuku's eyes. They both gave each other the 'we're in over our heads' look and Chiharu swallowed. 

All he had to do was not lose. He could do that. 

Then he watched the brown haired girl (Uraraka, she had introduced herself earlier) launch the ball into the stratosphere. 

Maybe he really wasn't cut out to be a hero. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 6! 

Writing for Because is so hard! I have so many good plot points coming up but its gonna take so long to get there 😭

Also not @ Chiharu thinking Hawks had a great childhood 😂 like honey you've got a big storm coming. 

Stay Tuned!