🏮38. Clouds and Light

Amber continued to float around aimlessly for what seemed like an eternity. Soon the cold of the night receded and a small warmth bathed her in a gentle glow. Her mind had mostly gone blank. Hours of fear filling her had been too much, leaving her a mumbling fool.

However, soon the cold of the night receded and the small warmth bathing her in the gentle glow of a new dawn awoke her mind once again. She lifted her face towards the sunlight, slowly opened her eyes. In front of her was the sun peeking up between two mountain peaks and a thick layer of misty fog just below her feet. The mist was so thick that you couldn't see below it. While the mountains looked dwarfed and barely poked above the fog. The mountains looked no higher than an average two level house or sixty cubes tall.

Sunbeams shown across the mist, shooting rainbows of color off of every surface. The drops of water above the mist glistened like a million jewels floating in the air and splattering against her. Where they landed, they broke into many new smaller droplets and continued to float in place once again, as if they were never disturbed. The sky shown in different shades of blue, purple, pink, and red. It was as if someone had spilled paint onto a canvas and swirled them around without mixing them. Still she floated across the mist, just missing the mountain peaks.

She lowered her hand into the mist and felt a cooler tingling sensation as the mist swirled around her arm and the sparkling drops of water splashed against her. She blinked a few times in confusion, then looked around for the nearest mountain peak. She saw one coming up close to her. Once the mountain top nearly grazed her side, she reached her hands out desperately trying to grab hold of it. However, just as the tree branch and doors had gone through her, her arm went through the mountain side without her being able to grab hold of anything. It was as if the mountain were an illusion.

She frowned and began to smack the water droplets and mist around in frustration. They continued to break apart into smaller beautiful jewels and swirl around her beautifully. After a while, she crossed her arms in front of herself and silently fumed in exhaustion. Every once in a while she sighed, but it did her no good. She just continued to float aimlessly along above the thick layer of clouds and mist. Every once in a while she vented a little of her frustration by kicking a puff of cloud that broke apart from the rest and got too close to her foot. The puff would spin and roll until it bounced onto the rest of them and sunk down into the fold. After a bit, she tried to stop herself by grabbing a hold of some of the clouds. She laid down against the clouds and stuck her arms deep within them up to her shoulders. She abruptly stopped moving forward.

"Yes!" She started to yell triumphantly, but her joy soon ended when the rest of her body that wasn't jammed into the clouds, spun around upside down. Now she was standing on her head with her head and arms stuck and her mouth full of cloud. She certainly wasn't moving anymore, but this didn't seem to be any better. How her mouth was full of cloud and she was stuck. Certainly this was fighting with her sense of logic, but then again, this whole situation was quite odd. She didn't really have time to argue with herself about what was possible when she was facing such a frustrating situation. She tried to spit out the wad of cloud that was threatening to choke her, but she couldn't spit it out. In the end, she was forced to chew it.

Strangely, it tasted like her favorite discontinued drink, which was a pleasant surprise. The texture was almost like marshmallows, but with less resistance and no stickiness. Altogether, this could be a pleasant experience, if her face wasn't stuck in it. She continued to chew and try to wiggle free until her jaw was sore. Again, she tried to spit out the clouds, but was unable to. She hesitated a moment longer, but couldn't figure out a way around it and so nervously swallowed the cloud down.

She felt a refreshing feeling as if she'd been famished and didn't realize it until that very moment. Her body begged her to eat more until she couldn't ignore it any longer. It was as if she were starving for food, water, or air. Her body went into hot flashes and her mind screamed for her to eat more. Once her body had a taste of it, she could no longer hold back any more than she could hold her breath indefinitely. Even though she had just been able to close her mouth, she unwillingly opened it widely once again. More cloud filled her mouth and she involuntarily moaned while she ate it voraciously.

She continued to eat her way further into the cloud, which was obviously not her original intention. Soon enough, the cloud was hugging onto her hips, holding her more firmly in place. As she sunk further in, she desperately wanted to stop, but she was powerless to resist. The more she ate, the more her body craved it. The more her body craved it, the more desperately she ate it. This vicious cycle seemed to go on without end until she felt a cool breeze graze her fingertips. She wrapped her fingers around the other side of the cloud and pulled herself further in. Her face popped out the other side of the cloud. Thinking about what she'd done and how much she'd eaten filled her with shame. "Let's just not mention that; ever," she said to herself while trying to wiggle free and collect her bearings.

She felt a soothing light and a strong comfortable feeling flowing up from below her. As she looked, she saw an old man with a long white beard and wearing a light green robe. He was sitting down cross legged next to the cliff of one of the mountains. He had a peaceful expression on his face and had his eyes closed while meditating. A bright yellow light was emitting from him in a large bubble around him. The yellow light seemed to be sucking in the mist around them. The edges of the clouds were pulled towards the yellow light in swirls. After the clouds entered the bubble of yellow light, they changed into what looked like sparkling water, twisting around him and finally entering his lower abdomen.

Amber too felt the pull towards the bright yellow light bubble as if it was the center of gravity. Her eyes widened and she gripped onto the cloud for dear life. Images of falling into that bubble and turning into some weird liquid version of herself that was sucked into his body filled her mind with terror.

A/N: Don't forget to hit that star and follow me. I also love to read all comments, because it makes me feel more connected to my readers. Thanks!