Chapter 30

Kara's arm was bent around mine as we walked down the corridor. I was positive this palace was expanding each time I had to walk around it. No wonder the whole teleporting thing was an ability all powers possessed. They had to, otherwise, they'd never get anywhere from trying to navigate this building that was turning out to be more of a city within itself. After getting back, Kara thought a walk would be a good idea and as we went up the third flight of stairs, I was questioning her decision.

"Where are we going?" I stopped, freeing my arm to cross it over my chest. "You know I hate stairs."

"You hate a lot of things, it's hard to keep up." She smirks.

"I think your bad mood killed your sense of humour."

"We're nearly there, come on." Kara keeps walking and groaning, I stomp after her.

"Where even is here, anyway?"

"Did you know I have royal advisors, that aren't just those assholes we always have to deal with? The only thing missing is a decent Seer, thanks to Zeus and his willingness to simply use the Fates in their place." She stopped to wait for me. "If Portia hadn't joined the dark side, I'm sure she'd be very comfortable here."

"I had no idea. Between sneaking in, upsetting the old rulers of this place and fighting the odd war or two no one ever gave me the real grand tour." I stopped again, looking out to where the towns the Others lived in. This side had some nice views. "Must have slipped their mind."

I didn't know much at all about any of this world, let alone this place.

"Well, let's start now then. This is what I guess you'd call the workers quarters. Everyone else has their rooms on the other side because let's face it, they'd never live with what they view as the staff. The higher their rooms, the greater their position or their families standing within our society." She looks up the staircase. "Some are much lesser powers that the rest have a use for."

"And who is at the top?" Because I figured that was where we were heading. "Seems more like punishment than a reward to me."

"Her name is Astrea, and she inherited her mother's passion for history and her father's love of the stars. Have you heard of the Muses?" Kara asks though I'm pretty sure she thinks she knows what my answer will be.

Too bad for her, I did know of them. "Yes actually. I am all over the Muses."

"Oh really?" She doesn't sound like she believes me.

"There are five of them," I tell her rather smugly.

"Nine." Kara corrects.

"What? No." I try to remember their intro in Hercules, though based on that Disney tale I may have been lied to before. Hades did not have blue flaming hair and Hercules wasn't a demi-god hero with cute, boyish charm. Meg was also a fucking psychotic Fury. "I'm pretty sure there are five? "

"Nine." She repeats before she loses her smile. "Please tell me you're not thinking of that children's movie?"

"No." It's an obvious lie

"You so are." Kara laughs, shaking her head. "One day you may want to actually do just a tiny little look into an actual history book, Deimos could probably find you one with pictures too, and then you will not rely on Hollywood and Disney to tell about the people of this world."

"One day, maybe. I want good pictures." We finally reached the top and up here, vines have wrapped themselves around the pillars and railings. It smells sweet, floral, and as we get close I realise it's jasmine that's growing. "So, which muse is Astro's Mum? Do they at least sing?"