《 i love you 》

• HUMAN AU •

"Keefe?" Stretching her legs, Sophie leaned against her boyfriend's chest. Wind was pestering the air. Soft clouds littered the sky, shadowing the parking lot and chilling the school grounds. The bed of Keefe's truck was a pitiful cuddling location, but today it was the best they had.

He was needed on the field in less than fifteen minutes, which meant their usual Friday date would be cut short. Now that football season had begun, they'd need to resort to another day for dates.

Keefe pulled Sophie close, tucking her head under his chin. He smelled like pine. And aftershave. Maybe just a hint of cologne. "What?" he asked.

"Please be careful tonight."

Mischief played on his lips. "I always am."

"No you're not." Sophie's forehead creased, prompting Keefe to smooth it with a kiss. "You're going to hurt yourself."

"I'll be fine, Foster." Keefe shifted. He too, seemed to find the truck's rusty bed uncomfortable. "I promise."

"You don't always keep your promises."

Hurt stained his face; Sophie shriveled away in guilt. Too often she was insensitive. In spite of the shunning, Keefe brushed it off and pulled her into his lap. There, snuggled in his embrace, his arms synced protectively.

"I'm trying to be better," he said, lowly.

"I know. I'm sorry." Sophie let her head fall on his chest, but for the pleasure of listening to his heartbeat. She smiled, taking an edge off the tension. "You're so much more comfortable than this truck."

"Hey — don't insult my vehicle."

She laughed. Her body succumbed to the breeze, bending into him. For a moment she let herself just admire him, let herself adore his traits and his flaws.

He wasn't wearing a full uniform yet — just his cleats and a snug shirt to go under his jersey.

"I'm proud of you," she whispered, cupping a hand at his cheek. "You've worked so hard."

Instead of grinning — or retorting with a smug comment — Keefe reclined his head and smiled blissfully. "Thanks, love."

Sophie put on a happy smile and cuddled into his warmth. "You're cute when you're sincere."

"I'm cute whatever I'm doing," he corrected.

Sophie shook her head. Just like that, the arrogance was in full swing. If his team won the game, she suspected she was in for mass amounts of sass that night.

Sliding out of his lap, Sophie kissed his forehead before she stood. Keefe groaned, reaching for her. "Come back."

Sophie pointed across the parking lot and towards the football stadium. "You're going to be late."

Sighing, Keefe managed to stand. He stopped  Sophie before she climbed out of the truck, somehow sensing she would fall without his aid. He clambered out and lifted her down by the waist. In thanks, she kissed his cheek.

"Ready?" she asked, twining their fingers as they walked toward the stadium.

"Always," he replied. The comment was followed with a soft kiss. Sophie, about to kiss him back, was caught off-guard by a sweet whisper of "I love you."

She stared. For their three months as a couple, he'd never said that. She'd been dying to for so long, yet always too nervous to admit her true feelings.

Her lips formed the same words. Time slowed. But before she could whisper them,  his hands were ripped from hers. Anger filled her as a mob of students — both football players and cheerleaders — swept him away without more than a backward glance.

"Keefe," she whimpered, holding a shaking hand against her heart.

He'd said it. He'd finally said the words and she hadn't been brave enough to say them back.

At least not soon enough.

A sudden fury raced down her bloodstream, startling Sophie into a sprint after the teenagers. Crowded bleachers approached, the field lit up by glaring lampposts. Sidewalks joined and hundreds of students flooded the stadium.

Sophie's hands balled into fists. Where was he? She couldn't let him play. For all she knew, he was heartbroken and in a reckless mindset.

"Keefe!" she yelled.

The sound was swallowed up.

Students filled the bleachers, each wearing green and white — school colors. Sophie hugged her body to the concession stand and waited for the river of bodies to surpass. It took minutes. By that time an announcer was already introducing the athletes, one-by-one.

Sophie ran to the edge of the field, searching for Keefe. Fortunately, he was the only player with hair styled so intricately. Her heart broke a little when she caught the defeat in his ice-blue eyes.

"Keefe!" His name came out a mangled heap. She tried not to yell, but doubted he'd hear her without the noise.

A dozen tries later his head finally perked up and searched the students lined up against the edge of the field. A split-rail fence separated bleachers from turf, but Sophie broke protocol, climbing over it. Keefe greeted her with raised eyebrows.

"What are you doing?"

"I love you," she breathed, grabbing for his arms. Thankfully, he still hadn't put his helmet on, which permitted her to kiss him.

Keefe smiled against her lips. "Yeah?"

"You're not really surprised, are you?"

"No," he said.

But Sophie knew it was a lie. Keefe had grown up in a cold family — one that made him doubt what love really was. For years he hadn't know what it was like to love or be loved.

That ended today.

"I love you," Sophie said again, kissing him all over his face. "I love you, I love you."

Keefe's bashful smile might've been the cutest thing she'd ever seen. Surely this was the best kind of embarrassment.

He was blushing.

"Make a touchdown for me, okay?" Sophie took both of his hands.

"Alright, love." Keefe kissed her, and this time students started to cheer. He grinned, reveling in the attention. "Just for you."