Chapter 34

MUKTA

'Anandi Tai (Aunty)...I will look into it...Tumi Pan Kaalaji Gheya...Vishranti Gheya (You please take care and take rest)...' I held Tai's hand and made her sit in the verandah. She was extremely tired.

'I am fine Jalebi...Relax...' she said and I rolled my eyes. That Jalebi name!!! Damn!!!

I silently picked the flowers basket and handed it over to the men from village who were lending a hand in decorating Anandi Tai's home for Rithu's wedding. Everything looked good, everyone was happy and I had put up a fake smile on my lips as I arrived to Phulvaspura last night. I didn't really have a place to go, I wanted to run away from all the miseries and pain. I knew if I stay in Mangalore Nayak's would try to find me. They were powerful people but I as well did my best by writing up a note where I lied about how much I hated joint family, how desperately I wanted a divorce as well.

But when I switched on the phone I noticed 'n' number of messages and missed calls and I regretted switching it on. I must have simply discarded my sim card.

'Mukku see na...I told my cousins that I'm not going to apply all these chemical face pack Haldi. Please Mukku grind that your special Haldi pack na for my marriage. You promised me' Ritu said and I smiled at her. Fari, Rithu and me were childhood friends. But after Fari's parents death she went back to stay with her grandparents and uncle's family. Rithu and I spent most of our childhood together and today I was extremely happy that she was getting married to the man of her dreams. Prajwal was a great guy and loved her a lot.

Love makes life beautiful. But then you've got to be lucky in love. Not everyone are lucky when it comes to love. My eyes glistened at the thought of a certain someone.

'Jalebi...here take the ingredients!!!' Tai came to me with the ingredients and I sat down to grind them.

'Jalebi do you'

'Tai!!! Please call me Mukta...I don't like that name...' saying I began grinding the turmeric roots and simultaneously added the rose essence.

'Nooo Bala (child)...Your husband named you that...It maybe orthodox for many but if you ask me...it shows his love for you...and anyways you a sweetheart... Jalebi suits you' Tai said and went to look at the catering arrangements while my eyes again filled with tears.

My phone began ringing again so I decided to switch off my phone again. I could use anyone's phone saying I lost mine.

Post making the turmeric sandalwood rose paste with fresh cream I noticed my hands had gone yellow. I tried hard but couldn't get the color off my hands. While I heard Tai say...

'Arey wahhh Jalebi...Mehndi cladded hands with Sagunacha Haldi...Khub chaan (Blessed Turmeric...Nice one!!!)' she said and I ignored her and walked away getting busy with my work.

Rituals for the Haldi (Turmeric) ceremony had begun. Some ladies had already begun their gossips as Omkar wasn't with me.

Why is she alone???

I knew it!!! These rich big shots!!! Must have got bored with her!!!

She was pregnant na!!! Remember??? I heard she had a miscarriage... Who will tolerate such a loss!!!

She's a average looking girl!!! And these men from bigger town often find a new butterfly!!!

Probably they got to know about her financial condition!!!

Poor girl!!! Husband left her at such a young age!!!