15

Novas POV

"Hi daddy, hey Max. What's up?"

Goddess how stupid was that? Mental face-palm.

I can't believe I'm standing in front of them naked. Max does an actual face-palm and my dad looks away. Granted it's not exactly the first time, as shifters being nude is normal for us. Just not exactly in these types of circumstances.

"Goddess Nova, get some clothes on please." My dad says.

"Please." Max adds.

"Sure thing."

I pick up the clothes I left on the balcony and rush into the nearest room, which was thankfully a bathroom. I quickly dress and head back out to face my family.

"Much better."

My dad just has to always have a comment. For as long as I can remember, he always has to be the first and last to say something.

"Zane called me earlier and told us everything." My dad says.

"Everything?"

"Everything." Max answers.

"Oh."

Fuck.

"Yes oh. When were you going to tell us what Lane did and that Zane was your mate?!" My dad almost yells.

"I just woke up today, so excuse me for being unconscious."

I have to stop myself from rolling my eyes. My father hates any and all forms of disrespect.

"He had time to call and tell us. So why didn't you?"

Seriously? I was on the brink of death, didn't die, found my second chance mate, and found out my sister has a mate that's my new mates Beta. Sorry I haven't found time in the ten hours I've been awake to call.. mental eye roll

"I'm sorry I was unconscious and lost my phone when Lane tried to kill me, and I'm guessing he took it. I don't know what you want me to say or do, I was honestly already thinking about how to contact y'all before y'all showed up. Zanes been busy with rogues so I was going to ask him to use the phone after he got back. But I'm thinking now it wasn't rogues after all."

"No it was us, but I'm still disappointed it took you so long to even think of contacting us. Regardless, did Zane see you in wolf form?"

I know my dad is worried but I think I was so fucked up, and covered in blood and dirt Zane probably didn't even notice my fur coloring.

"No, he didn't."

It's a lie and I know it, but it's one I need to tell. Hopefully he really didn't notice and they don't ask him.

"What about Lane? Where is that son of a bitch?"

Max says with a deep growl and his eyes start glowing. I know he wants to kill him, probably almost as much as I do. He had been happy I found a mate that had seemed to love me. Though he thought it was weird we hadn't marked each other yet, and he wasn't the only one. Only now I know the reason.

"Don't worry about him, I'll deal with him myself soon enough. That I can promise you."

Before either one of them has time to reply we hear the elevator door ding and open. My father looks at me and mouths

"We'll talk about this later."

And I just nod in response. Next thing I know Zane is walking through the door and straight towards us, well me specifically. He comes up beside me and wraps his arm around my shoulder.

"So how's everything going up here?"

"Good." My father, brother and I all answer at the same time and I can't help but giggle.

Zanes POV

Goddess I love that giggle. I could listen to it all day and night. Actually I'd rather hear her making other sounds at night. I know they've been talking about something, they just don't want me to know what.

If I had to guess I'd say her ex. I have to suppress the growl I want to let out at the thought of my mates ex guy. Thanks to my phone call I've learned his name is Lane.

Like are you fucking kidding me? Why is it so close to mine?

Regardless I hate this motherfucker and want him dead, and soon he will be. I know Nova said she could do it and wanted to handle it on her own, but what kind of mate would I be if I let her risk getting hurt again?

A shitty one.

"Well it's been a long night, and we just wanted to make sure Nova was okay. We best be going."

Blaze eyes Max then Nova, like he's mindlinking. But his eyes aren't glazed over, so he can't be.

"Oh Zane, can my dad and Max please have a room here for the night? It's such a long trip back and it's already so late that-"

"Say no more love. Of course they can say, I was about to offer it myself."

"Well we wouldn't want to intrude."

Max speaks this time, yet I know he doesn't mean it.

"Please, it's no intrusion at all. Like I said before, we're basically family now. I'll have my beta Felix show you each to a guest room on the seventh floor."

I give them a tight lipped smile, when my mate speaks up again causing my smile to become real.

"Oh Goddess! Speaking of his Beta Felix, my sister Alexa is his mate! She's here now too!"

"Really? Little Lexa is here? I'll definitely have to say hello in the morning."

Max seems genuinely happy and I don't like it. That's my now female Beta, and I don't like how friendly he seems to be with her.

"Oh definitely! I'm sure she'd love to see you both!"

"I'm glad. I always knew that girl had shifter potential. And she'll be a female Beta at that? That's amazing."

Blaze chimes in, it seems they both know her. This puts me slightly at ease, at least it's not just Max who seems happy about seeing her. While they're speaking I mindlink Felix to come and show them each to a room.

Felix comes quickly and I'm thankful, I want time with my mate. They all three say their goodbyes for the night and she leaves them with a hug. I thought her father, brother and pack had mistreated her, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Finally, we're alone.

*****Authors Note- The photo at the top is how I vision Chef Rudy, (earlier chapter) but feel free to change him into whoever you want to see him as.