five

Beverly

"So have you thought about the modeling thing?" Mel asks, digging her spoon into the ice cream container.

"A little. I mean, I've never considered that as a job before, and it's all kinda scary. I'd be entering a whole new lifestyle; living on diets and I'd be doing more work than I am right now." I tell her, feeding myself a spoonful of the creamy treat.

"That's true. Also endless exercise and so so much pressure on impressing people and looking perfect." She adds.

"Thanks, Mel. Definitely makes me feel better." I scoff and she giggles.

"But, Bev. There's also seeing your face on billboards and magazines. You'll be making tons of money, wearing designer everything, and you'll become like, famous even. People will know your name, they'll know your face. You're gorgeous, Beverly, and I'm not just saying this because I'm your best friend. You deserve this. Plus, think about all the hot model guys and famous people you'll meet." She nudges me, and I laugh lightly.

"Yeah but still. There are gonna be people who are mean, Mel. People can say stuff, and even as... myself I don't know if I'd be able to handle that." I tell her. "I also don't even know if I'm cut out for that type of fame."

I'm a headstrong girl. I never really had any issues with other people saying stuff about me behind my back, back when I was in school. I brushed it off my shoulder. I had a sort of personality that didn't let people get to me, and I was proud that I could be confident in myself like that.

But the media, the world is a different place. People are mean, they're cruel. They don't only say mean stuff but they break people down. They tear down self-confidence that every girl should have; every person should have. They build people up to become big, famous celebrities then tear them down with the words and the rumors. It's almost a life ruined. Yes, it comes with its many, many amazing perks, but it also comes with a life of insecurity and anxiety.

"Well, you'd have me, plus all of our other friends to tell you to be yourself and ignore that. Just think about it. You'd never know if you don't try." She shrugs, breaking me out of my thoughts and I nod silently, keeping my eyes fixed on the tv screen. I feed spoons of ice cream into my mouth as Mel and I silently sit and watch an episode of Friends.

"Oh - I forgot to tell you." I say, setting my spoon into the container of ice cream, and wiping my mouth with the napkin that sat on the bed. "I got you guys tickets for the show."

"What? That's great news!" Mel excitedly squeals and I smile at her excitement.

"Yep. And even better, I got you guys second row. I couldn't quite get you first cause, you know, that's reserved for the big people but hey, you're closer than the back!"

"Yeah, oh my god no, that's great! Thank you so so much!" She squeals, wrapping her arms tightly around my neck.

"And I was thinking, I have to work that day obviously, so maybe you and Riley can just ride with me and I can give you guys a little tour and preview sort of thing?"

"Seriously?! Bev, have I ever told you that you are the best friend ever?"

"Mm, might have mentioned it once or twice." I shrug and we laugh.

"No but in all seriousness, thank you so much." She says and I smile.

"It was nothing. But I do have something to tell you." I say.

"Oh really? And what is it?" She cocks an eyebrow.

"So, the day of Blake's dinner, I was caught up at work."