Chapter thirty-seven

Layla

This bathroom is larger than the one before but it has the same sink and marble counter with the mirror hung on the wall above. The only other two most prominent differences of this room, apart from it being absolutely sparkling clean is the walk-in shower that has a thick clear pane of glass dividing it from everything else and a wide, oval, white bath in the middle.

I place the bandage roll and the clothes on the marble counter and start to take my own bloodied ones off me. My jacket comes off swiftly but I know the top is going to be the most difficult. It is stuck to my wound because the blood has dried. This is going to hurt. 

I brace myself and pull, whistling through my teeth at the pain that comes from it.

After the pain simmers, I take everything else off. My socks and shoes are thick with mud so I place them in the bath to hopefully dry out. 

I walk into the shower, reaching the end to turn the knobs to the right temperature and the water cascades down my body. Oh, it's refreshing to feel the hot water on my skin but my right side begins to sting as it flows over it.

I nab a sponge from the side and see a bottle of shower gel. I think of using it but then reconsider because injuries and soap do not generally mix so I'll stick to water.

I wipe the mud and blood off me, rubbing on stubborn points where it's layered up. The bite mark hasn't changed much. It isn't bleeding which is a good sign but that feeling is marred by the fact that it still looks open.

As the warm water drops down my body, a sharp sensation rifles down my neck making me wince as it converts into a headache of the same magnitude. I close my eyes and place both of my hands on the tiled wall to try and get rid of this pain, but it's no use as it keeps on gaining in intensity. 

Flipping heck! 

My breathing is ragged as the water pours onto me, the steam of the shower is making me hot and sweaty and I punch a tile as a means of release from this agony and it works. That was easy but weirdly too easy?

I open my eyes to find a cracked, indented crater in the wall and the shower floor is scattered with ceramic pieces. I actually smashed the tile? There is also a mixture of blood and mud which is slowly sinking down the drain. It's mostly blood.

I calm my heavy breathing and turn the water off. I hurriedly leave the shower and grab any towel off the rack to dry myself down, making sure I pat dry the bite mark.

Maylock gave me a grey t-shirt, a pair of black leggings and a black jacket. I pull the leggings on me and pop my bra on before glancing in the mirror to study my upper body entirely. The bite mark has cleaned up a bit, although the many teeth marks, especially the four deep ones, are still prominently engraved into my body. Three red, glistening slices cut down from the back of my shoulder to my clavicle. looking closer at my shoulder, I realise that the scratch has been inflicted in the exact place as the one before. There is no other mark. It was completely reopened.

Slightly shaken by that fact, I unravel the roll of bandages and wrap them around my stomach three times and then move up to wrap around my shoulder twice, managing to weave in and out of my bra straps. 

I finish with a lot left over and I cannot see anything to cut the bandage so I just pull it and the cloth snaps in two. I'm bewildered since it is usually so hard to break bandages with your bare hands but I just did. 

What is going on with me? 

I tuck the loose end of the bandage into the stomach wrapping to stop it from undoing and then place the leftover reel of bandage on the counter. 

I towel dry my hair and put on the t-shirt, managing to do so even with the tight restrictions of the bandages around me but I'm not going to make it worse by putting that jacket on. I also come to realise that Maylock gave me no clean shoes and socks so I'll have to ask.

I look at myself in the mirror again; my green eyes, the freckles scattered across my face; my small nose and ears and my dark brown hair has a slight curl to it from being towel dried. I place my hands on the side of the marble counter, feeling the cold, hard and smooth texture underneath my palms. I close my eyes and inhale deeply, taking in everything that has happened to me. As I exhale, I open my eyes to find that my iris has changed colour. My eyes have changed colour? They are blue! Bright blue!

I blink a couple of times as a means of trying to get them back to normal but it doesn't work. Another headache looms over me, this one at an intensity I never knew it could reach. 

Oh my god! 

My breathing spikes and I slump down the wooden cabinet that supports the counter, grasping my hands around my head. What the hell is happening to me? My heart is beating so fast and the excruciating stabbing in my head just doesn't stop. 

I scrunch one of my hands into a fist and lash out behind me to try and get rid of this pain like I did before. I hear a thud when I make contact but don't take much notice as I close my eyes again, hugging my legs tightly and trying to focus on my heart and breathing. 

After a while, my heart and breathing rates slow down and when I open my eyes, the headache goes. I get up off the floor and look at my reflection straight away. My eyes are back to being green. What the hell was that? 

I glance down curious at where I punched the cabinet and one of the doors are dented and hanging open by one hinge. How did I punch that hard? From these sights, I pick up my towel, the jacket and blood ruined clothes and get out of the bathroom almost immediately.