Self reliance

After a round of jumping around in anger, she finally gave up and sat down, removing her hands from her face. She needed to breathe and was still going to die anywhere so, it was best to continue like that until death. So she took in a large breath and waited for the pain.

She felt she was having constant heart attacks. What kind of place was this that was constantly trying to rip her heart out.

Mr. Wolf didn't come back for a long time. The sunlight became brighter and brighter. With the bright sunlight, the fog receded at at an unusual speed. Denise blinked at the fog that seemed to have a mind, moving back like it was being pulled by an active force.

Denise; 0.0

Mr. wolf jumped back into the clearing a few minutes after the fog disappeared. He had what Denise identified as an elk, hanging from his mouth. His eyes dropped when he met her form and they communicated his disappointment at the fact that she was still alive with no injuries.

He placed the elk in the middle of the clearing and transformed into his human form. When he became human, the elk became at least five times bigger than him.

He observed her with a gaze of scrutiny, and asked from the other side of the elk, "What strengths do you have?"

"Having a brain," she responded with a flat tone.

He ignored her, grew claws at his finger and started to work on removing the fur of the elk.

"What's with the fog?" She asked.

He didn't want to answer.

"It went away in a weird way and I'm not dead yet," she said.

"Bigger prey is killed slower," he said.

Denise nearly jumped, "Are you saying that that fog is carnivorous? That fog eats people?" She remembered the large breaths she took and wondered how her lungs were doing.

He peeled the skin off half of the black to half the stomach. He put the fur aside, morphed into his wolf and started chomping it down unceremoniously. When he had had his fill, he carried the rest into the cave, including the fur.

It didn't take Denise much brain power to realize that she had to fend for herself. In fact, her stomach did the thinking for her. Without informing him, she walked into the forest, hoping that by some means, she could escape him.

The walk was rather long, the trees were too tall for her to hope they had any fruit. She searched the ground for anything edible. If she didn't managed to escape, she'd have to build a fire and a shelter. She found that there were some large leaves that could cover at least half of her body.

She also found some large flowers and that's where she decided to loiter. Flowers were always a sign of fruit. But in a place without insects and that barely had any wind or animals, what could possibly pollinate those flowers? In the end, she only found trees with lots of flowers.

Her legs ached but her stomach was a bigger motivator. Finally, she noticed the large mushrooms seated on the barks of some trees. Earlier, she had been reluctant to pick up the mushrooms because of their fungi nature.

When they learned the topic in class, she was disgusted by it. Something about fungus just made her imagine a zombie origin story. Fungus had to be one of those things God picked up from one of his million other worlds and said to earth, 'Here, have something weird. Something that could turn on you and destroy the entire human race before you know it.'

The fact that some fungi are able to control the minds of some living creatures makes the entire situation worse. With all that mycelium, hyphae going on, she believed that mushrooms definitely have to be an alien race that could feed on humans.