Running Away Pt. 2

Dream's POV

Sapnap came to visit me.

After having a panic attack about George, the nurse had to sedate me. I woke up with Sapnap by my bedside.

I turn to him and take a shaky breath. He hands me a cup of water silently.

"Where's George?" I croak.

He looks at me sternly. "Is that all you can say?"

I take the cup from his outstretched hand and look at him wearily.

He nods, a gesture for me to drink the water. I gulp it down gratefully, but the moment my mouth is free, I talk.

"I know you know where he is. James was looking for him. I need to know..."

Sapnap gets up from his chair and grips the hilt of the sword hanging from his belt. His back is turned to me.

"He left," is all he says.

I watch the back of his head carefully. He swallows and turns his head enough that I can see his cheek. My breath comes in shallowly.

"Left? As in gone for now, or gone forever?" My voice breaks on the last word.

The guard's eyes meet mine. I hold his gaze as I try to control my emotions. Sapnap was holding back information, I could see it in his eyes. It was like he was trained to not tell anyone everything, to not trust anyone.

"Tell me," I demand, my anger bubbling inside my head.

His eyes break away from mine and he paces in front of me, armor clanking. His grip hasn't left the hilt of his sword, like he's is waiting for someone to attack him.

"I have James currently locked up in a cell. He will be interrogated tomorrow morning after his required time isolated. We have reason to believe his intentions were more than just attacking the prince. After his-"

"He was trying to get George," I interrupt. "I already know that. He attacked me because he was looking for George. Don't act like you didn't know that."

He clears his throat. "After his interrogation we will decide what to do with him," he continues, as if never being interrupted.

It sounds like it's something he's rehearsed, given by the king to spare my feelings and give me the least amount of information possible.

My anger boils the longer he talks.

"As for you, you will be put under more protection. It's apparent that the current security seem incompetent and haven't been doing good enough background checks on the people entering and leaving." His pacing takes him to the chair by my bed and back to the end of the bed. He refuses to look at me as he recites his information.

"Currently, the castle is on lockdown. No one goes in and out without strict permission from the king himself. I have-"

"Stop," I grumble.

He continues talking.

"Stop!" I yell.

He looks somewhat startled and finally meets my eyes. The confusion wipes from his face immediately and he waits for me to speak.

"Don't give me your stupid rehearsal. I know my father put you up to this. I don't give a crap what happened to James." My anger tears through my lungs. I feel on the verge of crying. "Am I going to see George again or not? Give me a straight answer or I'm going to figure it out on my own."

Sapnap gazes at me sternly. He takes a deep breath and closes his eyes.

"George went home."

"Yeah. You said he was gone. Can he come back?" My voice breaks and I clear my throat. "I asked if I was going to see George again, not where he went."

I watch as tension builds in Sapnap's jaw. I refuse to look away, the anger flashes in my eyes.

Air leaves his nose quickly and he unclenches his jaw. "I wouldn't count on him coming back Dream."

His words ricochet in my head, the raw emotion in his voice. He hated having to tell me that. I hated that he told me that.

"Don't say that," I choke out. My nose burns as I try to control my tears.

Sapnap watches me openly, guilt across his features, as if it was his fault.

"Was it your fault?"

He wets his lips. "I tried to stop him-" his voice cuts out and his teeth clench again.

My eyes go wide. "What?"

"James chased him. I had to stop one of them. George wasn't one of them."

My breathing becomes irregular.

"I talked to the guards by the gates. Once they saw him they quickly escorted him out. I'm sure he's home, but no one goes in and out until the King says so."

I pull my knees to my chest, dragging the blanket with me. My face falls into my open palms and I muffle a sob. The nurse comes in to check on me, but I disregard her and get out of bed. I finally realize I'm wearing nothing but my pants.

"Where are you going?" The nurse asks.

"I need to speak with my father."

Sapnap grabs my arm. "Not the best idea Prince Dream."

I look at him with upset features. "Let go of me."

"I don't think I can do that."

"Why not? Just cause you couldn't save George doesn't mean you can't let me leave."

Hurt flashes in Sapnap's eyes and his grip loosens enough for me to rip my arm from his grasp.

I run from the nurses room and barge into the hallway. I can hear the nurse yelling my name, but my feet take me down the hallway. I'm in my room, grabbing my bags.

I'm leaving.

I'm leaving.

I can't stay here.

I am in the courtyard, heading towards the gate as guards train, and servants trim bushes. Someone yells my name, but I trudge on. I'm already on my horse before Sapnap can even catch up to me.

I don't even look back as I ride past the castle walls.

George's POV

I collapse to the ground in front of my house, energy completely drained.

I hope I don't die out here.

I huff, trying to get oxygen to my heart. My body feels all tingly and cold. The moon shines on my back coldly.

I left Dream...

What if he gets hurt? What if we can't see each other again? What if he gets so fatally wounded that he goes into a coma? Maybe he will forget me when he wakes up? Maybe he won't make it and the both of us will die alone.

My lungs catch and I choke on bitter air.

My vision slowly fades as exhaustion and cold take over my body.

The world goes black.

Sorry to end it here. I guess I end all my chapters with people passing out. I've been doing so much homework recently it's been hard to get much of anything done. I hope you can forgive me for the wait. Maybe the next chapter will be out next week? I'll try my best.

And don't cry. It gets better. :)

1183 words