Chapter Twenty-Four

I was completely frozen. I couldn't even turn to face him, but I knew it was him.

"Hands off the lady, buddy." A random drunk on my other side interjected.

Alessio ignored the guy and leaned forward so his body was practically shielding my own from the rest of the room. "You cut your hair." He said casually and took a strand around his index finger. He twirled it easily as he spoke. "You look...well."

I stared dumbfounded at my cup. I couldn't even look at him.

"I said hands off!" The guy on the other side said and stood up and stumbled over. I finally glanced to the scene. He pushed Alessio who looked moderately annoyed but God, did he look...well, as he so delicately put it. He was dressed to perfection as always in a completely black suit with a bold red tie, and though he had a bit of stubble around his jaw that he didn't have the last time I saw him, he looked wonderful.

"Friend, I will break your hand if you touch me again." Alessio put his hand to the fedora on his head and readjusted it. I knew he wasn't lying. He'd do it here, in front of everyone without a second thought.

"It's fine. He's...he's someone I used to know." I told the random bar stranger who then stalked back to the stool beside me grumbling. His hero ego obviously wounded.

"Dai." Alessio said and motioned for me to follow him. When I didn't he frowned. "Come on."

"I can't leave Stacey."

"She's with Pietro. Come."

"No. If you want to talk to me you can do it like a normal person." I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Now you know I'm not a normal person." He chuckled. "Come with me."

"Nope. I'm going back to my table." I said defiantly and uncrossed my arms to grab my drink. He grabbed it first though and took a step away giving it a little swirl. "I'll just buy a new one." I challenged and leaned up onto my toes to talk to the bartender over the table.

He set the drink back down. "Katherine." He sang out in a bored tone and approached me until he was practically on top of me. I flinched when our bodies connected and he pressed his lips to my ear. "I'll just throw you over my shoulder and carry you out of here kicking and screaming. Do you want me to make that scene?" He said in a low sensual voice to only me.

Yes, yes I did. Very much so.

"You wouldn't, not in front of everyone here." I shot back I peeled my body away from his. Before he could hold it hostage again I snatched my drink up from the bar. I turned and took an unsteady step towards Stacey and Pietro but Alessio grabbed my wrist and pulled me back to him.

"Would you like to place money on that bet?" He teased.

I pursed my lips and sat back down on the bar stool. I took a long drink from my glass, smacked my lips together after I was done and let out an over dramatic but very necessary ahh of satisfaction after my drink. "As a matter of fact, I would."

He chuckled at my defiant show and turned to the annoyed looking bartender. He'd been my buddy all night and Alessio was just the annoying drunk guy harassing me. I sent the bartender an award winning smile just to reassure him that I had a handle of this.

"Fine, I'll play your game." He waved to the bartender who looked slightly miffed now. "Scotch. Make it a double." He tossed a fifty dollar bill on the bar and my bartender friend immediately switched sides.

"Coming right up!" He said pleasant as ever.

Traior.

"So." He said taking the seat next to me. "You've been a busy girl."