Chapter 2: Not on the mainland anymore

The boat ride was no more awkward than the train ride and been. Two hours of Mr Leopold (Mr Leopold, really? Cocky little twat.) blabbering about how safe Phineas was going to be because he had the best hunters in the world protecting him.

Oh he felt ever so safe with the man child and creepy black eyed mute. What were they hunting? No one had even told him yet? The most dangerous animal in Scotland was what, an adder? They were kind of venomous. There were no bears in Scotland, nor wolves, the most they would have to hunt were red squirrels.

If that were the case though then what happened to the group of archaeologists before him and why would the company hire people to protect him if there was nothing?

The question weighed heavy on his mind as they arrived on the island. As the grey waves of the sea lapped against the hull of the ferry, the island gradually clawed its way out of the mist and into the view. Like a sea monster of legend, it grew ever closer and all the larger the further they got from civilised society.

The thing that struck Phineas forget about the island wasn't its obvious remoteness or solitude, but it's pure density of trees. The landscape was spiked with trees taller than he'd ever seen. He couldn't make out any houses or signs of any population upon the island, just trees.

When the ship finally docked at a pier that clearly was not used very often, Phineas felt an almost primal instinct urging him to remain onboard. Had this place ever known man? It seemed nature ruled here and he didn't want to mess with the hierarchy. His head ached and stomach churned as he was helplessly shoved off by Mr Leopold. Before he knew it, he was on the crumbling pier and watching his one route to escape sail off into the mist.

"Are you alright?" That deep gravelly voice sent shivers down his spine. He could not pinpoint what it was about Sebastian that frightened him so, no that was not true, his eyes frightened Phineas. He was stuck on this island with these two men for the foreseeable future, he had to get used to it.

He looked up at Sebastian. Oh those eyes. Never had he known such a shade of black. Was the night itself ever so dark? He smiled nonetheless and said: "I'm fine, thanks. Just kind of realising that I've never really been out of the city for very long. I used to live in London, didn't leave it a lot really."

Mr Leopold laughed boisterously. "So we got a spoilt city boy here, 'ave we? Even more the reason for us to be here, right Seb? You've never gotten your hands dirty, you've never done actual hard work or physical labour. Don't deny it! Seb and I will risk our lives and toil away for your peace of mind. Put up your delicate feet and protect your finger nails, Phineas, for Seb and I will handle the actual work." He grinned like a maniac to himself as he spouted his nonsense.

"What are you talking about?" Asked Phineas. "I'm an archaeologist. My entire job is getting my hands dirty."

Mr Leopold gave him a quizzical look. "How is designing houses getting your hands dirty?"

"That an architect, you pillock."

"Those... aren't the same?"

"No."

Mr Leopold looked out across the sea and the for the first time, Phineas saw him with a slightly embarrassed expression. He felt slightly happy at humbling him, but he was also reminded of just how young this kid was. Mr Leopold looked eighteen, nineteen at a push. He supposed it was typical for people that age to try and assert themselves with false boasts of bravado.

"It's an easy mistake to make." Phineas assured. "I get it all the time."

He meant it as words of encouragement, but Mr Leopold turned on Phineas in a rage. He grabbed Phineas by his shirt collar and with a face of malice stated: "I don't make mistakes. I can't."