Part 59

Sidharth's P.O.V. 

Rushing Shehnaaz into the hospital, I screamed and yelled at the top of my lungs, "Someone bring a stretcher!" I rested Shehnaaz gently down on the stretcher and ran besides her until we were outside the Operation Theater. "Please Mr. Shukla, wait here," the doctor said to me and I stood there with tears barely forming in my eyes. Sitting a while and waiting for any news, I heard footsteps coming and looking up, I saw Daksh walking closer. I was relieved to see him and stood up however, as he approached me, I was much taken aback with the strong punch he hit me with. Picking me up from the chair I fell on, he held my collar and said to me furious, "I told you earlier that nothing should happen to Shehnaaz because of this plan, right? But you are so full of yourself and overconfident that today my sister is fighting for her life!" He pushed me away harshly and I looked at him both with shock and regret of the same thing. Pointing at me, he said with his eyes red, "If anything happens to my sister, I swear, I will forget that we are best of friends." He went up to the glass door and looked inside as I sat back on the seat. I was so wrong about them. How could I possibly suspect Shehnaaz and Daksh? Since when have I become this blind and stupid? I buried my face in my hands, not being able to face him anymore. The door opened after a half an hour and the doctor came out. I stood up immediately going to him and asking, "Doc, is Shehnaaz alright?" "Don't worry Mr. Shukla, one hard part is over. We managed to get the bullet out of her body but...." he said however, hearing him, I panicked asking, "But? But what doctor? What happened to my wife?" "Relax," he said resting his hand on my shoulder, "Shehnaaz's heart is very weak. We have to keep her under observation but if she doesn't respond to any of the medication we give her in the next twenty-four hours, her life can be in serious danger." 

My world came crashing down when his words came to me. Stepping back, I leaned against the wall and began blaming myself for her condition. "This is all because of me. Had I not married her, none of this would have happened in her life. She would have been living a normal life. Why? Why? Why? Why did I meet her? I'm sorry Shehnaaz. I ruined your life," I said breaking into tears. My underlings stood and looked at me weak but I was least cared about how they were seeing their Mafia head because right now I was only my wife's husband and culprit. Daksh also stood and looked at me silently. The nurses began wheeling the stretcher out of the room and I got up. They took her to the ICU and instructed me to remain outside for a short while. Taking this chance, I went to Daksh and folded my palms in front of him. "Daksh, I admit that I have wronged you. I shouldn't have used Shehnaaz in this plan. I am ashamed of my doings. I'm sorry," I said bending my head. The nurses came out and without saying anything to me, he asked, "Can we go inside now?" "Yes," the lady responded. I frowned knowing that there is a great chance of me losing my closest and dearest friend. I went into the room and looked at Daksh looking at Shehnaaz. "Your brother is with you. Nothing will happen to you. I have promised you to always protect you and I will at any cost," he said. My phone rang and I stepped out the room to answer. "Sid, I heard that there was a shootout at the headoffice. Are you alright?" Dad asked worried. "I'm fine Dad but..." I said and my voice broke. "Sid? What happened?" He asked. "Shehnaaz..." I said. "Oh my God, don't frighten me. Tell me everything clearly," he said. "Dad, Shehnaaz is in critical condition at the hospital," I said. "Ok, hold on. We are coming immediately. Don't worry," he said and hung up. 

I went to Shehnaaz's bed and kneeled down besides her. Holding her hand injected with tubes, I closed my eyes and prayed silently, "God, I haven't believed in you much in you life but I know that you're there. Please, grant this selfish person one thing. Save my Shehnaaz. She is paying for something she doesn't deserve. She took the pain that had my name written on it. Please God, help her. Don't take her away from me." My tears flowed freely from my eyes and I looked at her, kissing her fingers. I sat there still and unmoved until Dad and Mom came with Rahul. Mom immediately rushed to me and looking and feeling my body, asked with tears flooding her eyes, "Sid, my baby, are you ok? Are you hurt?" "Mom, I am fine. But Shehnaaz..." I said. She cut me off saying, "You don't have to worry about her. She deserved what she got. Anyways she isn't fit for this family. Come, let's go home." I looked at her stunned at her words as she pulled me up from the ground and was pulling me away. Rahul held onto my hand and frowned. He was on the verge of crying and I stopped. Mom quickly intervened and pulled my hand out of his saying rudely, "Leave his hand. He is nothing to you. You are only some street child he pitied and took up from the streets. You should be at least a little considerate and repay him by working." "Rita!" Dad yelled angrily. Mom looked at him with a brave glare and pulled me out of the hospital. My patience was reaching it's limit with her continuous abuses to Shehnaaz and Rahul and not being able to stand it anymore, I pulled my hand out of hers and yelled at the top of my lungs, "Shut up! Just shut up! Keep quiet Mom because if you knew what Shehnaaz and Rahul did for me, you wouldn't be so ungrateful. Since when did you become like this, huh? You're clearly not my mother. Because my mother had a heart. And if you decide to remain like this then I'm sorry, I can't live with such an ignorant person. You suffocate me." 

I looked at her face filled with horror but it was necessary for her. I turned around and was about to walk away when her question stopped me, "Are you willing to leave your mother for those two strangers?" Turning to her, I said, "Not strangers Mom. That's my wife and brother you're talking about." "What wife? What brother? The wife you married halfway? Or the brother you picked up from the street? You are ready to leave your biological mother for them?" She spat angrily. "Stop it Rita," Dad said behind me, "Because you know nothing even close to the truth." I turned and looked at him. Walking closer, he said calmly, "I think it's time to give you the truth. The truth that we all were protecting you from so that you don't get hurt." He stopped besides me and fixed his eyes on Mom. "Dad, please, don't," I said. "No, she has to know. Only after that she will stop being this ignorant and perhaps I will get back my old Rita," he said. "Tell me what? What are you planning against me?" Mom asked bitterly. "Oh shut up Rita. Don't make everything about you and stop playing the victim," Dad said frustrated. He took out his phone and went up to her. Handing it to her, she looked at whatever he was showing her silently. Her eyes widened and she looked up at him with tears reflecting something different this time. Instead of anger, I could see regret and sorry. "Open your eyes well and look at this video. This is our daughter-in-law. And this is our son. Shehnaaz took the bullet only for your beloved son. The same son you adore and is obsessed with. Look properly well. Shehnaaz is lying in that hospital bed because she took Sid's bullet on her chest," Dad said. I was a bit relief knowing that it was not Rahul's truth he revealed to her. Regardless of what, I can't see her in pain knowing that her husband once made a huge and irreversible mistake in his life. 

Mom looked at me silently and without saying anything, she sat inside the car and left the hospital. Going to Dad, I said, "I almost thought that you were going to tell her about Rahul's truth." "I will tell her that soon. But right now, worrying about Shehnaaz is enough for her brain. If I know her well, she just needs some time to recoup her thoughts and she will come back. My wife isn't stone hearted," he said and turned to me, holding my shoulder, "You also don't worry. Nothing will happen to Shehnaaz. She's a strong girl." I hugged him and regained some courage to wait for the coming hours. Waiting patiently inside the hospital, Rahul was sitting on top me with his head on my chest. The hall was silent and gloomy and night was already upon us. "Rahul, come, I'll get you something to eat," Daksh said coming to us. Rahul shook his head stubbornly and hugged me. "Rahul, listen to me. Go and get something to eat with Daksh. We are right here but you can't remain hungry all night. Be a good boy and go and eat," I said. He frowned at me but gave in. Holding Daksh's hand, they walked away and I sat down, leaned back my head against the wall and closed my eyes. "Sidharth," I heard a familiar voice and opened my eyes. Shehnaaz was sitting next to me in a white suit and smiling. Her bright and happy smile forced a smile onto my face as well. "Who told you to cry? What do you think, I will leave you this easily? Nope. I'm one of those that stick with you all your life and irritate the hell out of you. I won't leave you this easy," she said. Hugging her tightly, I listened to her heartbeat in the silence and suddenly, it began getting more and more faint until I couldn't hear a thing anymore. Frowning, I parted from the hug and someone began shaking me from behind. My eyes opened and I panted. "What's wrong? Did you have a nightmare?" Dad asked wiping away the sweat on my forehead. The dream scared me to death and I suddenly began to feel restless. "I need to go to Shehnaaz," I said and got up. I went into her room and sat by her bed, holding onto her hand. Thinking that I would get some relief being next to her, I said, "You won't leave me and go, won't you? You know how much I need you. I am used to you. Without seeing you, my day doesn't start nor end. The saying is true. Until we don't feel the fear of losing someone, we don't appreciate them. You have reminded me of how much I need you in my life and how much I love you. Just don't leave me and go." I rested my head on her pillow, buried my head in her hair and inhaled her scent. 

___________________

Hey guys! I'm really sorry for keeping you waiting for so long. I'll let you in in a small secret. After my book got deleted from wattpad, it has really thrown me down. I am trying my best to keep updating but there isn't any inspiration. And without inspiration, I can't type a single letter. I'm sorry. I am contemplating on ending this book soon and starting a new Sidnaaz story afresh. Hope you all understand me and support me.