Young at Heart

Art above by Brushscape

Young at Heart
Kuroken

This is a fic I wrote maybe a year ago but never finished? So I slapped an ending on and stuck in some jokes ;) bone apple teeth

.

.

.

Kuroo Tetsuro is older than him, and that's all Kenma knows before they meet.

~

Permeating the air was the smell of sweat and a hint of paint stripper - The student faculty's attempt to renovate the gymnasium.

It swamped the air and clung to the walls with the summer heat.

But if anything made Kenma's nose wrinkle more, it was the presence of somebody new.

The whole Nekomas team were crowded around the entrance, loose lipped with questions and chatter.

They all looked short compared to the thicket of black hair rising above them all.

This was discounting Lev of course, who had only seemed to grow taller in his second year.

Meanwhile, being in his third year, Kenma would be lucky to say he'd grown an extra two centimeters.

Kenma worked at the rope of the volleyball net, feeling the coarseness drag across his already hot hands.
Curse summer and its pursuit of making him feel humid.

The rope slipped through his fingers and hit the floor.

Clenching his eyes once and hard, he accepted his fate. Social nervousness and anxiety, till death, do they part.

"Kenma, this is Kuroo! Remember, Coach said a university student would be working as the team's manager over the summer".

In fact, Kenma did remember, and was told he would arrive and introduce himself after afternoon practice.

Kuroo was even taller up close. His skin was tan, his smile was infectious and his posture was casual.

He pulled a hand from his pocket in an offering for Kenma to shake.

"The captain, I assume?". Kuroo's fingers were long and his palm, wide. Kenma's hand twitched at his side before hesitantly shaking it.

"Setter actuall-," Kenma tried to reply. Fukunaga's eyes needled into the side of his head before he could utter out the last syllables. "Co-captain" he mumbled.

"Does this mean we're never getting a girl manager?" Yamamoto groaned from the side.

"We're lucky we have a manager at all I'd say'' whistled Fukunaga.

"Remember when Himari volunteered and you scared her off with your smile on the first day?".

This started a whole new discourse and smattering of loud voices.

"I'm sure I'll be working with you a lot then" Kuroo's grin curved across his face, and Kenma noticed that his attention hadn't drifted away from him at all.

If someone were to write sonnets about the colour of Kuroo's eyes, they'd be classified as broken honeycombs of molten gold.

Kenma would rather classify them as the colour similar to a banana slug.

~~~

It's pre-morning practice and Kenma straddles the metal bench in the club room. It's cold against his skin as the morning heat has yet to climb.