1 || Labels

Chapter 1: Labels

Ashton!

When the semester had started, Ashton Malik was someone I'd barely known, he was the guy I'd fawned over from afar and every girls dream.

But now he was my only dream, I couldn't stop thinking about him.

He was the guy I now called my boyfriend and the man sitting right next to me on the dinner table.

His eyes caught mine. "What're you thinking about?"

I smiled. "We both know what I'm thinking about, Ashton."

He laughed, a charismatic smile on his lips. As he took a piece of chicken.

I'd never been on a date and although Ashton had insisted, I'd offered dinner at my apartment. Well, it was Angie's apartment if you thought of it now.

I'd been sent an email by the vice chancellor notifying me of the termination of my scholarship. I'd tried explaining my case to them, is recieved this response yesterday:

Hi!
Your situation will be deliberated and won't be something we can consider afterwards. You are urged to appear before the panel on the twelfth of December by 11:00am where the final decision would be made.

So, that was it, I'd called up my mom and if all didn't go well, I was leaving campus tomorrow, mom sounded disappointed but not at me, she was disappointed at the partiality and corruption in the school's system.

I had a panel meeting with the chancellor but even I knew my case would hardly be looked upon.

Here's the thing, I'd pled my case a thousand times, even had Jessica and Dale confess to the allegations and claimed Joey masterminded it all.

But if you think this school was going to lose an upcoming boxer earning them millions all year round just to keep some dumb girl who's on scholarship, you'd be just as dumb as me.

"You have that look on your face," Ashton said and I was once again, snapped back to reality.

"What look?" I took a bit piece of fried zucchini and dipped it into my cheese sauce, eyes focused on Ashton.

"That look you've got when you're worried but don't want to say anything... That one with your nose scrunched up and dimples."

"Okay! My nose does not do that."

"Yes it does." Ashton laughed, I could feel his touch on my thigh underneath the table, a form of comfort.

"Ashton... I love you."

It was something I needed to say, even if I left, I'd always love him. Ashton looked at me with a fixed gaze, his eyes softening as he stood up from the table and kissed me.

His lips were soft, like an electricity jolting through my whole system, I wanted to remain there forever. I wrapped my arms around his neck, allowing him to pick me up before wrapping my legs around his waist.

"I know," Ashton mumbled between our kiss, instantly deepening it.

He moved into the closest space, dropping me gently on the couch without breaking the kiss, letting my hands wander underneath his shirt.

His lips finally left mine, reddened from our kiss, his hair a beautiful mess.

"But Maddie... We need to talk..."

I froze, I never liked hearing those words cause it just meant we've been lacking communication to begin with. I pushed back my anxiety, folding my legs as he sat beside me.

His large hand was on my cheeks, stroking it in circulation motion. "I love you, you know that, right?"

His gaze faltered, unable to meet my eyes. Something was bothering him and I could tell.

"Ashton, what's the matter?" I asked.

He sighed. "I- I just think... We're rushing into this."

For a second, I was stunned. I blinked continuously, a part of me didn't want to believe I'd heard what I'd heard.

"I'm confused," I managed to mumble.

His voice wasn't the strong guy who was always in the ring, knocking down opponents, it was the guy I'd come to know. But yet, why did I feel so confused with every word he just spoke.

"I just don't think it's best to... Put labels on things right now." Even I could tell he was breaking saying that.

I froze, I couldn't believe this, my lips quivered as I tried forming words.

"A-are you breaking up with me?"

"No! Maddie, I love you," he stated.

"And I love you so whyr'e you saying this."

He pitched the bridge of his nose and even I could see the difficulty he had trying to speak this words. This wasn't Ashton speaking, this wasn't the same guy who'd kissed me minutes ago.

"Ashton, is there something you're not telling me?" My voice was begining to crack, I could feel red hot tears building up in my eyes.

"Maddie, I just don't want this to be any difficult."

"So that's it? You're just going to breakup with me just a week after asking me out." The tears were already pouring down. Ashton tried wiping them but I brushed away his hand, I wanted to cry right now, if that was going to let my emotions out.

"Is this about my scholarship? You're breaking up with me cause I'm probably losing my scholarship."

I'd never seen Ashton so lost of words, his shoulders tensed and he failed to look at me.

"Maddie, I'd never do that."

"So tell me what's the problem,"

"I wish I could, I really do Maddie." Even his eyes were red I could see him biting back his emotions, hurt in his eyes. I hadn't expected my first date to go this way.

"Ashton." I mumbled his name in a low voice, my eyes finding his. "You'd been the one to talk to me about secrets, you'd tol-"

"I know." He cut in.

I tried to form a retort but my voice drowned in a sob as I stood from the couch.

"You have training tomorrow, right? You should leave," I said.

Ashton nodded, his eyes watered as he stood and made his way to the door. He held on to the knob, freezing for a second, them turned to me.

"I love you, Maddie."

Tears were rolling down my eyes, I bit back a sob, looking back at him.

"I love you too."

I knew nothing, I didn't know the reason he was doing this, I didn't even know why he asked me out to begin with or why my life had become synonymous with a drastic mess.

But I knew no matter what, I did love Ashton.