47• not my peers • 47

The house party was in a different neighbourhood to mine, on the other side of town

The house party was in a different neighbourhood to mine, on the other side of town. It wasn't in the rougher or wealthier parts of town, it was just an area with average sized houses and affordable cars. Kids who lived in this neighbourhood tended to go to Longview High as Long Shore High was a little out of their way. It reminded me of where Joe lived.

On the drive there, Harry grumbled to Sebastian about how far out of their way the party was. The gym they went to was at the Beachforde Hotel and the party was in the opposite direction. The mid point between the two was the lighthouse.

Sebastian and Harry dropped me off without saying much more to me. I could tell I had bled them dry and they had lost all will power to reason with me. I could see where they were coming from, but I wasn't sure that they could see where I was coming from. I had to have the conversation with Billy and a party was the most convenient place to do it.

When they dropped me off, they said they'll pick me up on their way back from the gym. Roughly, between them getting to the gym, working out and getting back here, it meant I had two hours. No more. No less. I had plenty of time.

I made my way up the front lawn, ignoring the odd groups and stragglers cluttering the front yard. Every face I passed was a stranger. Somehow, I felt even more out of place here than I did at the party's I went to with the kid's I went to school with. It suddenly dawned on me I was the only outsider at this party. I was completely alone. I wasn't supposed to be here.

The final nail in the coffin was a group of football players,  noticeably distinguishing themselves from the other guests via their green football jackets. Each were drinking a bottle of beer, laughing together, with their backs turned to every other person at the party. The image in front of me reminded me of the party my stepbrother's had thrown at the start of the year and how my stepbrothers seemed to stand apart from the rest of the guests with their exclusive group of friends.

My eyes searched for Billy in the crowd as I neared the front porch. I'd already texted him i was on my way, but I hadn't received a reply. I figured he hadn't heard his phone over the loud music.

Luckily I didn't step onto the porch unnoticed as a familiar tanned brunette with her hair braided turned around to see me coming up the front porch steps behind her. Her eyes seemed to catch the light of the moon as her chocolate eyes met my crystal blue ones.

"I didn't think you'd show up." She stated, looking down at my outfit, which seemed to support her assertion.

I wasn't dressed for a party. I was wearing a thin layer of make up, flared blue jeans and a strappless black top. In contrast, the girls here were dressed in pretty tops and skirts. They were dressed a little more causal than what the guests of Jack Williams' party wore, but you could tell they'd made an effort. Much more effort than me.

"Well, i'm here." I smiled.

Sadie nodded. "I can see that."

I attempted to keep my smile, but it was faltering as I struggled to figure out what to say to her. It was only when someone came up behind me and screamed Sadie that I cursed myself for not asking her where Billy was. I watched awkwardly as a girl and a boy stepped in front of me to hug Sadie. I hadn't known Sadie had more friends than Billy and Milo. I guess I was wrong.